Alienware m17 Warms up to ATI and Crossfire

Status
Not open for further replies.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Definitely expensive, but that would be a pretty nice laptop, except for not being a practical laptop at all. I wouldn't mind having a laptop with a blu-ray on a laptop with an HDMI output though.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
The 7811-FX was crippled with problems, is now discontinued and was simply a over-hyped POS. Best Buy probably had more returns and RMA's on that unit then they did sales. I went through 5 bad units before I decided I would never buy Gateway again. The company cut too many corners with quality control, stability and reliability. Sure, there are folks out there with working units, but I doubt they'll be keeping them for long. If anything, Gateway used all the 7811-FX owners as test dummies for the replacement 7801u.

Now if Toshiba could sell a X305 with WUXGA display for $2200, that would be worth a serious look.

darkbob87

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
[citation][nom]Luscious[/nom]The 7811-FX was crippled with problems, is now discontinued and was simply a over-hyped POS. Best Buy probably had more returns and RMA's on that unit then they did sales. I went through 5 bad units before I decided I would never buy Gateway again. The company cut too many corners with quality control, stability and reliability. Sure, there are folks out there with working units, but I doubt they'll be keeping them for long. If anything, Gateway used all the 7811-FX owners as test dummies for the replacement 7801u. Now if Toshiba could sell a X305 with WUXGA display for $2200, that would be worth a serious look.[/citation]

Devin here,

I actually own a Gateway 7811-FX (bought it myself from best buy, not a gift or anything like that), and I have had zero problems with it. My only real complaint is that they partitioned the 200GB HDD into two halves. A reformat or purchasing a bigger HDD, and this would be the perfect portable gaming solution for me.

251A

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
I also own a Gateway 7811-FX and have had zero problems with it. For what you pay the thing is an incredible value.

G

Not true, SweFish. I just used your provided link, and a comparable Clevo configuration is $2,543, VS the M17 at $1,999. This is with the 9800M GTX, which isn't going to push the framerates that ATI 3870's in Crossfire configuration will. When compared side by side, the Clevo D901C has lesser graphical performance for ~$550 more. Also keep in mind that the Clevo is a barebones system that will come with NO operating system, which must be provided and installed by the user.

That being said, if you can afford the 9800M GTX SLI and the Core 2 Quad Q9650 that the Clevo offers, the M17 loses hands down.

You have to compare apples to apples, my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.