Alienware May Wait on Producing Gaming Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcvf

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Just about playing WoW on non-pro level - you can just touch all those icons on the bottom, which nobody really does in reality, but it is possible. An FPS game on the other hand, is no-go.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
that's good. it's best to wait for the technology to mature all the way to acceptable level than rushing with current tech. i don't want an Alienware Tablet you can only play Angry Bird on...

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Razer's tablet is cool and all but wouldn't it make more sense just to make the tablet a bit longer so there's a bit of room at each end for a joystick and several buttons on each end of the display (possibly even triggers underneath). That way it'd be much nicer to game on while still keeping the device thin and light (which is the whole point in a tablet) as well as making it much easier to do your usual web browsing etc

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I don't understand the reasoning here. A gaming tablet is just like a large handheld gaming console, but no one wants to buy a playstation vita? So, just because it's called a tablet, we're going to have everyone jumping for it, huh?

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]question, how do I use both my hands if I'm holding the tablet.[/citation]

How do you use both your hands if you are holding a controller ?

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
To turn a gaming tablet into something useful input wise, would just about make it a laptop. And they already sell laptops, Alienware is making total sense here.

yanjustin98

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Well let's just say that I am quite happy they are waiting to introduce a gaming marketed tablet. First of all, it's probably going to be overpriced anyways, and I don't see the point of a "gaming" tablet. Might as well buy a laptop. If they make it gaming you might as well add USB ports, or a USB dongle which would be pretty funny. Let's just hope tablets don't come with 1394, eSATA, and DVI within the next year because then the gap between PC and tablet would be closing too rapidly. I'm probably leaping too far though -_-.

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]How do you use both your hands if you are holding a controller ?[/citation]

The controller is formed around the hands. Size and cupping of the hands taken into consideration. A tablet has an entirely different form factor and size. None of which takes into consideration using both hands to input possibly synchronously.

Star72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]How do you use both your hands if you are holding a controller ?[/citation]

Well the controller is connected (wired or wireless) to the screen & the console/pc & using the controller is what your hands are supposed to be doing in that situation. With a tablet you have to hold the tablet & try to use the controls on the screeen. It really doesn't sound like a good comparison on your part.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Isn't the term 'gaming tablet' a little contradictory? Are there any decent tablet games? Its not for lack of processing power its just that devs haven't figured out how to make decent games using a touch interface.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
At this point they'd be better off considering cutting cords and developing BCI and eye tracking that works as fast as people can click. But we're so used to mouse that in most games we click where we're not even looking. It will be difficult/impossible to replace it on mobile devices that you have to hold.

Yeah ... a hardcore gaming device aimed at casual/indifferent gamers. That really would've been flying off the shelves. Guess it's good they caught on to that before they actually started producing it.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Alienware is a little late. Millions of consumers are already happy playing GTA, final fantasy and dead space on their iOS/Android platform :)

G

awful piece of information,let me tell you, your blog gives the best and the most interesting information,i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts,Regards, Zain Online Stuffthanx

Status
Not open for further replies.