[Alienware Mobo] Safe to remove radiator/chipset cooler to make room for new heatsink?

visi

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
I'll try to keep this as brief as I can, but I also want to give all the relevant information from the get-go, so here goes.

Basically I'm moving my Alienware Aurora ALX motherboard to the Fractal Design Define R4 case for better airflow and upgradability (yes). It seems like a normal mATX board and it fits in fine and everything, but there's this cumbersome radiator thing screwed into the board that's blocking the new CPU heatsink I ordered (Cooler Master Hyper212 EVO). I know, I should have paid more attention to the dimensions of this monster of a heatsink and forseen this problem, my bad I guess. Here's a picture so you can see what I mean, it's those like metal "stacks" with the copper tubes attached:

sN8yTtR.jpg

The Hyper212 EVO is just slightly too big to fit:
pXrqy8N.jpg

I should mention that the motherboard originally had a closed-loop(?) liquid cooling system as a heatsink, so I've been thinking that this radiator was to help dissipate the heat along with that.

The liquid cooler that came with the Alienware Aurora ALX:
Asetek%20Dell%20Alienware%20Liquid%20Cooling%20System-thumb-500x315-458.jpg

So, my question: is this radiator safe to remove if I install the Hyper212 EVO? Was it most likely just used only to work in tandem with the liquid cooling? If the radiator is actually essential to the motherboard, are there any smaller CPU coolers that are still very good and would most likely fit?

Specs:

Motherboard: Stock Alienware Aurora ALX mobo
CPU: Intel i7-920 @ 2.66 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts EA650 650w

Solution
D
You should be fine removing that heatsink. As you speculated it is only there because of the closed loop cooling. If you have normal airflow through the case ( as you should with the new R4 ) there is no need for it unless you are trying to break some overclocking records.

Edit: Oh and the 212 Evo is actually on the small end of aftermarket air coolers ;)

Edit 2: After looking at those pictures again you will need at least a smaller heatsink on the chipset. You can probably buy one for a few bucks. You can also rotate the 212 Evo 45 degrees to exhaust out the top of the case instead of the back if it will fit that way. It should not affect cooling performance since the case has a top fan. Might be easier than trying to remove what's...
D

Deleted member 217926

You should be fine removing that heatsink. As you speculated it is only there because of the closed loop cooling. If you have normal airflow through the case ( as you should with the new R4 ) there is no need for it unless you are trying to break some overclocking records.

Edit: Oh and the 212 Evo is actually on the small end of aftermarket air coolers ;)

Edit 2: After looking at those pictures again you will need at least a smaller heatsink on the chipset. You can probably buy one for a few bucks. You can also rotate the 212 Evo 45 degrees to exhaust out the top of the case instead of the back if it will fit that way. It should not affect cooling performance since the case has a top fan. Might be easier than trying to remove what's on the board.

Sorry for all the edits it's late :)

Solution

visi

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
Man, that was quick! Yeah I'm glad for that last edit because it'll be much easier to just put in the EVO that way. Question though, the Define has these like pads on the top of the interior that seem to completely block airflow, should I just rip those off? I think they're designed to just minimize noise which isn't really a concern, but when I pulled on one of the pads it felt like it wasn't meant to be removed. Just wanna clear that up before I finish up this build.

EDIT: Thanks a lot for the quick and to-the-point advice by the way, just the type of answer I was looking for. Honestly I just assumed this thread would get buried haha, forum this big.

D

Deleted member 217926

I believe those are just for noise dampening. It won't hurt to remove them if that's what they are. I've never built using that case but I believe that is what you are talking about. You would have to remove it to install top fans right?

D

Deleted member 217926

I answered my own question. I was right. See here starting about 3:25.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422503916&v=VS45Yhjj4bY&x-yt-cl=85027636#t=197"][/video]

Saw your edit and added my own. I'm on an edit streak tonight lol. The good thing about a forum this big is we have many users from all over the world on 24/7 so very few threads fall through the cracks.

visi

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
Well then, looks like I'm all set. Thanks so much again, and goodnight! :)

Final Edit: I guess I never thought of it like that. In that case I'll definitely be less hesitant to post a question next time (after searching to see if something similar has been asked before of course).

TRENDING THREADS