Question Alienware PC's from Dell... your thoughts on this one???

Need a new gaming PC. I have a Dell business account I rarely use.

This a decently pre-built system??

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/sho...spd/alienware-aurora-r10-desktop/wdryzr1020sb

Thanks
Not really no i mean yes but for the price they are trying to sell it to you at NOOO. I get you have. Buisness acc and that will drop the price but.... The same system with more "system" memory. Storage and a 5700 with i think 11gb instead of a 5600 with 6gb would cost you the same to hand build

For the price and comp that your making out of it yea thats not bad but again it's a dell soo it's most likely going to be a dell specific system... If you will want to updgrade things in it in the future. Generally it will have to be with dell parts. Just a note for in the future... Dell isn't the only brand that does this so you'll need to keep an eye out for that.

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
You're going to be waiting a long time for that system to arrive. Production delays have hit both the CPU's and the GPU's. There are a lot of Alienware Aurora's on ebay now that have had the GPU's stripped out of them. If you have a GPU that you can use with it until the production delays clear up, it might be something to consider.

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
The only bad thing about Dell's, is that they are 99% proprietary. Apart from video card, RAM, and CPU, nothing else is reusable and there are hard limits on how much you can upgrade them that can't be circumvented. They are designed to be disposable, not upgradeable. It's planned obsolescence.

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Steve Burke over at Gamers Nexus had a fun adventure with a Dell prebuilt recently...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DMg6hUudHE

I liked the videos he did on the G5 and 8940, but he always tears into things with the vision of a hardcore enthusiast who only wants the best, and has the money to pay for it. He doesn't consider the average guy who may not have that much money, who may be using a really old computer, and just needs a cheap upgrade or who needs something to tide them over for a year until the newest tech is released. Example: he demolished the i5-10400 when it was released, and if you can afford better, he's right, it's crap. But what if you can't afford better? What if you're still using something like a 3rd or 4th gen Intel CPU? Even a 6th or 7th gen? The i5 10400 becomes an attractive option, especially installed in a cheap prebuilt like the G5 or 8940. Right now, you can buy tons of those machines on ebay, without video cards, for almost nothing when you consider how much it would cost to buy all the parts that you would need to build one yourself. If you already have a decent video card that you can put in it that doesn't bottleneck the CPU, and doesn't overwhelm the power supply, you'll be golden until the next generation of technology hits the streets. You shouldn't be putting that CPU in something like an Alienware that is going to cost you twice as much, anyway. If you open up that Alienware, the odds are pretty good that you'll be looking at the same motherboard that is in the G5 and 8940.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
View: https://youtu.be/9sDRiakWcIM

Steve tears into things for a reason. Value. It's more than just the price, but why the price. The 5800x is a great cpu, but he doesn't like it because it's too expensive for what it is, he has a lot of things better to say about the 5600x.

I can't hold it against him for wanting value for money, at any budget range.

You should see what he has to say about the 3080 TI. Even promotes against gamers buying a 3090, because the value isn't there.

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
View: https://youtu.be/9sDRiakWcIM

Steve tears into things for a reason. Value. It's more than just the price, but why the price. The 5800x is a great cpu, but he doesn't like it because it's too expensive for what it is, he has a lot of things better to say about the 5600x.

I can't hold it against him for wanting value for money, at any budget range.

You should see what he has to say about the 3080 TI. Even promotes against gamers buying a 3090, because the value isn't there.

I thought JayzTwoCents had a better 3080Ti review. I agree with them both that the 3080Ti isn't good value if you're buying the founders edition, but Jay took it a step further and reviewed an EVGA FTW3 version that ran as fast, and sometimes faster, than a founders edition 3090 for less money. So the founders 3080Ti isn't a better value than a founders edition 3080, but an overclocked 3080 Ti can be a better value than a founders edition 3090.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Someone posted not too long ago about upgrading an Aurora system. Had all standard components inside.

The Dell XPS machines are the ones to truly avoid.

Marketing pictures for that Ryzen Aurora even show a standard 24-pin ATX connector and typical ATX motherboard screw layout. The last motherboard I looked at, only really the front panel LED lighting looking proprietary, not a deal breaker to me.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Point of view. Linus got slammed for his review of the 3080ti as well. His review was quite positive for the 3080ti, since it's basically within 2.5% of the performance of the 3090, costs less and using GDDR6 instead of the temperamental GDDR6x at half the amount, and using the same 102 cores, it should be considerably more available that the current 3090. All basically positives according to Linus. Even it's msrp is similar to the 2080ti,1080ti launches, in proportion.

The problem being its only @ 7% better than a 3080 and costs not quite double the msrp.

So compared to a 3090, it's a viable and decent value, but compared to a 3080, it's horrible.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
For anyone that bought a 2080Ti at $1100-1300, it is for them. They don't lose any memory and gain something in performance.

I was quite annoyed when the 1080 priced dropped $100 with the launch of the 1080Ti. 1080Ti was also expensive, but better price to performance ratio.

But all in perspective. 2070/Super was basically a 1080, 2080/Super wasn't quite a 1080Ti (Which Nvidia still regrets), and then the 2080Ti.

I look at this one the same way. Though the stack is even more silly. RTX3060 has the same CUDA count as the 1080Ti and the 3080Ti/3090 are truly huge.

May i suggest you look at what users say on dell forums , a few years ago i was going to buy one of there games rigs and a workmate advised me to avoid them.
According to dell forums the main problems are , noisy fans , constant over heating and constant crashes that not even customer support remote access staff could not fix.
As somebody else has pointed out the xps machines are the ones to avoid.

If you do buy one get it direct from the factory because the ones in the well known pc store have different componants in them as they are " made to a price "

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
For anyone that bought a 2080Ti at $1100-1300, it is for them. They don't lose any memory and gain something in performance.

I was quite annoyed when the 1080 priced dropped $100 with the launch of the 1080Ti. 1080Ti was also expensive, but better price to performance ratio.

But all in perspective. 2070/Super was basically a 1080, 2080/Super wasn't quite a 1080Ti (Which Nvidia still regrets), and then the 2080Ti.

I look at this one the same way. Though the stack is even more silly. RTX3060 has the same CUDA count as the 1080Ti and the 3080Ti/3090 are truly huge.

The only thing that I didn't like about the 1080 launch, was that NVidia was charging higher prices for their own cards than the board partners were charging. It was like they wanted to drive you to the board partners, and not buy theirs.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They also did that with the 2080Ti, and several of FE launches. $1200 for the early access founder's edition, and $1000 MSRP for partner cards. Very few partner cards released at $1000.

Nvidia has backed down from that stance and launches at the same time for the same price.

As for the 1080, all the desirable cards were the same price as Nvidia's. It was the blower coolers and reference boards with last gen heatsinks on them that were cheaper than the FE cards.