Alienware Reveals External "Graphics Amplifier" For Alienware 13 Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

game junky

Distinguished
For anyone in the market for a gaming laptop, this probably is going to move some Alienware laptops. Dell used to have an business docking station with a PCI-slot for a video card which was convenient for designers - this is like that on steroids. I hope someone creates a universal version of this product or that order manufacturers join in while using a universal cable type (thunderbolt/mini-displayport, USB 3.0, whatevs).

Still, nice product for those that have that model of laptop

Louis Singley

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
I would love something like this for other laptops. I have 4 people in my house with laptops that struggle on games we all play together usually just in pairs at any one time. Even a single one of these would let me pass down my old cards that are collecting dust since I own the only desktop in the house and we could pass it around as needed, eventually getting enough for everyone to have one.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
a dock at 300$ plus if you buy a good graphics card for ~400$. Man not to mention that dock isnt really portable. You might as well just save 200 more and build a full fledged up-gradable home pc, than have your laptop on the go. If the dock was ~150$ it could be understandable but that is not the case.
Unless you are going between more than one home a lot (this is the situation for some people), then this makes sense.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED
I was waiting for this for long time since the external PCI Express ports and cables came out into the professional market.

Now Dell should make a PCI express external port card , so that we can share this station with our desktops. and it is about time motherboards have native external PCI express 16X ports .

Imagine a tiny Itx Machine connected with external native PCI express port ...

nismoguy82

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
Isn't this the same type of product that Silverstone announced at CES this year, the XG2? Theirs interfaces with the laptop via Thunderbolt 2.

tigerwild

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
These devices are already available, if you know where to look. I have one, and it really makes an older laptop feel like a desktop. Of course the system becomes the limiting factor at the point where you are using a high end desktop GPU on a laptop, and then there is the issue of carrying a case for the card, plus at a bare minimum a second 200 to 300 watt power suplly. Suddenly it isn't really a laptop anymore, instead more of a middle ground for desktop all in one PC's. But comare its performance versus other laptops and it is amazing performance by comparison!

see: http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-p-934367.html
or just google "micro pcie to pcie"

Adea00

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
u guys may also be interested in the performance of all these product.
just throw a simple example. As Micro PCI E 2.0 is equal to a PCI E 2.0 X1, thus the bandwidth would be 5Gbps, which is the key factor here to limit the performance. Comparing to a X16 interface, video card performance may drop nearly 30% under full load.
refer to more detail on PCI express or Thunderbolt interface: google: external graphic card
as for the performance test, sry that I didnt save that link, google something like: PCI E Graphic card test.

gaborbarla

Distinguished
Some people may remember tha Amilo SA3650 laptop from 2009 (which I still use for casual browsing).
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-FSC-Amilo-SA3650-Notebook-Amilo-Graphic-Booster.13484.0.html
It had an expernal graphics booster with a ATI 3870 which also had to be plugged in. It also had additional USB ports etc. The Amilo 3650 was hardly suitable as a mobile solution, as you had to plug both devices in (laptop and Booster). Initially it could only be used with an external display but later with a Alpha driver (that never got updated) enabled it to use the 13" laptop screen at a minor performance cost. The biggest problem was still the heat. Both the laptop and external booster generated a lot of heat and it was hard to use the keyboard and mouse while various fans are blowing hot air on your arms and hand. I used the booster about 5 times in 5 years but still use the laptop because it is small and still OK for having in my lounge.

Not sure if that 100% relates to this, because this thing seems much bigger and you would probably buy two and just carry your laptop around.

Mike Capps

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
It's best to wait for the Broadwell CPU iteration to come out. The haswell-based i5 is a good CPU, but isn't near good enough to drive a desktop GTX 970/980.

Wait for Broadwell.

oh please any real gamer is going to want to get a high end desktop for gaming. if you are a gamer and want the top quality you will not care about lugging around a desktop computer because you know there is no laptop that will come close to playing games at max settings. and this is why they will take a gaming desktop for a lot less than getting this bulky laptop and external GPU

Wardojack

Reputable
Oct 30, 2014

So you're going to get a desktop PC, monitor, keyboard, mouse etc. and take it all on say, the train?

if you can afford a gaming pc you can afford to get a better form of transportation other than "the train"

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

nah , You can still get a SLI GTX980M gaming notebook , is good enough.

This External Box is a docking station nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.