All but one laptop can recive full fibre optic speed.

doberry5000

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
As it says in the title all but one of my houses laptops can receive the full fibre optic speed of 40mb/s. With the laptop in question receiving between 2-4mb/s (both with wifi and cable being used separately). The laptop is also only about 2 years old, and is the newest out of all in the house, there is plenty of room in both ram and physical memory (8gb and 300gb respectively)

I have tried to fix the problem myself and have searched for hours on the internet to try to find a solution but haven't, as of yet, found one.

The laptop has up to date wireless and LAN drivers, out router is brand new and seems to have all the correct settings, the laptop has also been 'troubleshooted' with no problems being found. The filter on the broadband line has also been changed with no difference at all.

I'm getting rather desperate as the main point of getting fibre optic was for this laptop, as this one deals with the most software downloads.

*edit
Specifics of the laptop/internet: ISP: EE
Router: Bright box 2.0
Laptop make: Advent
Laptop model: Monza (Or something like that?)
Network adapter(dunno if this would help): Realtck RTL88CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC

When you say fiber optic speed it though you had meant you added a Fiber Port to the laptop not the speed of your internet.

Now first thing. Proper terminology. When dealing with Internet speeds you have to make sure you use proper upper case and lower case.

40mb/s could mean anything. 40Mbps means 40 Mega Bits Per Second which is what internet speeds are rated in. Mega Bits not Mega Bytes.
MBps means Mega Bytes. The first one is always Caps the second is only caps for Bytes and not Bits.

So you have a 40Mbps internet connecton that is fiber. Now for the laptop is that 2-4 Mega bits your are getting or Mega Bytes? If you run a Speed Test and it says 2-4 then there is an issue. If you are just testing using a file to download and you are getting 2-4 Mega Bytes a second then your right where you should be.

But just in case that isn't the issue. What ISP do you have, Router, laptop brand and make. Need more info

doberry5000

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
Ah, I didn't know the specifics of upper/lower cases when it comes to speeds/whatever they are. So thank you for clarifying that!

anyway, on a speed test site (mybroadbandspeed.com btw) it says i'm getting 2-4, lets say an average of 3, so i'm downloading an actuall file at about 500 killer bytes (i think i used the right one there?)

Specifics of the laptop/internet: ISP: EE
Router: Bright box 2.0
Laptop make: Advent
Laptop model: Monza (Or something like that?)
Network adapter(dunno if this would help): Realtck RTL88CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC