[SOLVED] All games are suddenly experiencing massive frame drops ?

MilliaHakumei

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Specs: 32Gig DDR3, GeForce 1070 8g, i7-6700k, Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB, WDC Wd10EZEX-00BNA0, WDS100T3C0C-00SJG0, PSU CX750M, Monitor 2k LG with G-Sync, Monitor 2 Acer 2k with G-Sync(which Control Panel loves to say doesnt have it, but still enables it anyway)

So as of late, I am suddenly experiencing massive frame drops in most of my games, now as of late as well I have only been playing WoW Classic, which has not really seen much dropping, but if I open GeForce Overlay while in game, the mouse immediately freezes until I turn the Overlay off.

I first noticed the frame drops when I decided to load up Resident Evil 7, which I was just playing last week or so ago at a smooth 60+ frames at almost max settings, but now the game chugs between 30-45, and has a strange "slow motion" like effect to it at time.

Meanwhile Resident Evil 8 seems to be smooth, but between 35-60 frames, but when I first played RE8 it was running between 60-80 frames.

Now for some reason, Overwatch is running at 70-100 FPS, which I only noticed as I began loading up different games to test things, but I used to run it at 144 FPS.

And strangely, After Moving Skyrim and it's mods off of C drive and over to my G drive, which may or may not be related to this sudden change, It's suddenly running at an almost smooth 60FPS when it never did with the crazy lighting mods I had installed (just got used to running at 30 to enjoy the lighting)

I've done fresh installs of the GPU drivers using DDU, I've done malware/virus scanning, of which it did find a few adware, but nothing too serious. I also emptied out my C some in an attempt to quicken the OS at all. I have tried rollbacks before fresh installed to no avail, and have looked into any problematic windows updates, but I can't seem to see any that would have effected myself other than one I found online from April which caused things like this, but my windows does not show I have this update.

I believe my only repair option left is to attempt a windows reinstallation, but before I do so, I'd like to see if anyone else could offer and wisdom on this situation, maybe something obvious that I am missing. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Edit: Dragging windows, whether it be chrome, steam, or folder, also isn't as smooth as it once was. Also, I was Overclocking my CPU, but turned it off to see if anything would change, but I didn't notice any big changes, neither did I notice too much of a change when I overclocked my GPU.

Last edited:
Solution
Sounds like a windows update or updated driver is the issue. Try rolling any updates back a release or two, if possible. Also keep an eye on task manager (or the info provided with Xbox game bar using Windows Key + G while playing a game) and see if any other program is spiking in usage while playing games.

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
Sounds like a windows update or updated driver is the issue. Try rolling any updates back a release or two, if possible. Also keep an eye on task manager (or the info provided with Xbox game bar using Windows Key + G while playing a game) and see if any other program is spiking in usage while playing games.

Solution

MilliaHakumei

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Here's my Temps While playing WoW Classic TBC and recent Updates

Temps-while-playing-Wo-W-TBC.png

Recent-Updates-page-001.png

Recent-Updates-page-003.png

Recent-Updates-page-002.png

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Did you install optional updates? Best always avoid those. Not that it's the reason for performance issues but might. Try uninstall them and reinstall motherboard chipset driver from mobo website support page.

Temps are fine.

Is xbox dvr recording off?

MilliaHakumei

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Did you install optional updates? Best always avoid those. Not that it's the reason for performance issues but might. Try uninstall them and reinstall motherboard chipset driver from mobo website support page.

Temps are fine.

Is xbox dvr recording off?

Did all of the above minus Xbox dvr recording as I don't have it, but, now ya gonna call me crazy, I figured it out.

After the past 4+ days of testing, reinstalling drivers and software, running virus scans, using MRI, and many many more, it turns out the issue was

Drum roll

The freaking Logitech Mouse. I first thought about it when I tested Phasmaphobia, it was then I finally noticed that I only got stuttering/lag while moving the mouse, but now when moving using a key board, so I went to Ghub, didn't work, so i uninstalled it, and installed Logitech Gaming Software. It was in there I noticed that the mouse polling was ticked to 1000, so for the hell of it, I lowered it to 500, and.....boom, no more lag, and everything runs great again.

I've no clue what would have caused it to shoot to 1000, but, there we are.

MilliaHakumei

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Oh well done. No idea either. Sometimes device software can be buggy i guess. Glad it's sorted.

Welp, I've got new issues now, if it's one thing it leads to another lol.

Now, this has only happened three times so far, and the only thing in common is Google Chrome running Youtube videos in full screen on my second 2k Monitor while playing full screen games on my main 2k display, (WoW twice, and MTGA once) where the computer full freezes, audio .1 second looping whole nine yards freezing.

Now my first thought is, oh <Mod Edit> maybe my C drive is dying, so I load up Crystaldiskinfo, which shows my C drive, a Samsung 850 EVO 500.1Gig, at 82% Health, which should be fine.

This leads me to believe that my windows may be starting to corrupt, and may need a reinstallation. Now, I may as well do this soon as I just bought a new CPU, and Mobo which I'm excited about, so I may as well do a fresh install when I install these new parts, but now I'm questioning whether or not I should also buy a new SSD, the new Mobo has room for two M.2's, so perhaps I could grab another one of those if the scalping hasn't hit it.

I already backed up the files on my C drive, totalling about 60 gigs, started at 9am, and finished at about 5pm, which seems like a far too long of a time, but then again I do not think my front USB are running 3.0

TL;DR: You think my Samsung EVO is having hardware issues, or could it be more windows itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

MilliaHakumei

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Reinstall Windows first and then reassess. Install latest version of Win10 and motherboard drivers from manufacturer website. Don't install any optional updates from Microsoft.

You think I should do a reinstall before adding new hardware so as to keep a control environment? I figured I could get away with a, keep all files, type of reinstall, but I did a backup in case, just hate having to re set up several of my softwares, lol.

MilliaHakumei

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Randomly, an issue I had last week, which was initially fixed from an audio driver update, has come back, where if a youtube video or any video is playing on one screen, and a game is in fullscreen on the other, the audio of the video begins to desync from the video.

MilliaHakumei

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Reinstalling Windows on existing hardware to see if that resolves your issues yes.

Always clean install after a mobo change.

Aight, so I ended up doing a clean install with the new Mobo and CPU, and everything that was anything wrong with my pc was fixed right up while a clean install without the hardware change still had issues, so it seems the issues had lied in either the old mobo or cpu beginning to crap out on me, and for some karma of what I went through, the luck gods granted me access to a 3080, so everything worked out in the end lol.

Thank you for the assistance!

Reactions: boju