Question All games crash within a minute ?

v_sammie

Honorable
Sep 17, 2017
Hi everyone,

I just built a new high end PC which runs on Windows 11
but no matter which game I try, they always crash to desktop without any error, as if I just ALT-F4'd the game.

Specs:
Operating system: Windows 11 Home 64-bit
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-A WIFI
CPU: Intel Core i9-14900KF with both PSU power connectors plugged in
GPU: AORUS FV43U GeForce RTX 4090 with stock power adapter, all power connectors plugged in
RAM: 2x 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600MHz (CMK64GX5M2B5600Z40) seated in A2,B2
Disk: WD_Black 2TB M.2 SSD (WDC WD10EACS-22D6B0)
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850 Gold

I already tried/checked:
- updating bios to last version
- upgrading GPU driver
- tdrDelay 10 in registry
- downclocking gpu
- Memtest86, no errors
- using only ram stick 1, using only ram stick 2
- bumping RAM voltage from 1.25 to 1.3V
- updating to Windows Insider Program (release preview)
- installing games on other non M.2-SSD (SanDisk Ultra II 960GB)
- temperatures are very stable

Some hints maybe:
- Event viewer indicates Exception code: 0xc0000005 (Sons Of The Forest\UnityPlayer.dll)
- from all 50-ish times I went to BIOS settings, there were 3 cases where BIOS froze and I had to reset the PC.
- No crashes occur when just using windows/browsing

It'd be great if you guys can help since I really have no idea what else to try :/
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

v_sammie

Honorable
Sep 17, 2017
I installed Windows 10 on the Crucial SSD and tested Sons of the Forest and Cities Skylines,
they both crash instantly every tone, as soon as the world is loaded:pensive:

It seems like Windows 11 is not the problem. Could it be something with the CPU, motherboar or GPU?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
How old is the PSU? There are some well known issues with some Seasonic PSUs and the high-end Nvidia/AMD GPUs (transient spike issue). More than a few threads about it here on the site.

I can confirm (been there, done that) it is a real issue, in some cases.

Google these terms to see more: nvidia gpu failure using seasonic psu

v_sammie

Honorable
Sep 17, 2017
It seems that with the people who have this issue, their whole pc shuts down and reboots. That indeed looks much like a PSU failure.
But for me my pc doesn't shut down, the game simply closes.
I'll do a test today with my old 1080ti to lower the power requirement.

EDIT: Also it doesn't seem like the PSU fails since the graphics driver doesn't restart. The screen never goes black: the game simply disappears.

Last edited:

v_sammie

Honorable
Sep 17, 2017
I tried with my old 1080ti but the pc won't post with that card😐
After, I tried again with the 4090 and everything still works. I don't understand what's wrong. The 1080ti always worked in my old system. I removed it gently while being very consious about ESD safety. That card should work but it doesn't on this new mobo

EDIT: I've put the 4090 back (games are still crashing).
I tried both Prime95 and Furmark at the same time and it doesn't crash.

Last edited:
I tried with my old 1080ti but the pc won't post with that card😐
After, I tried again with the 4090 and everything still works. I don't understand what's wrong. The 1080ti always worked in my old system. I removed it gently while being very consious about ESD safety. That card should work but it doesn't on this new mobo

EDIT: I've put the 4090 back (games are still crashing).
I tried both Prime95 and Furmark at the same time and it doesn't crash.
You may have to set your PCIe settings for the gpu to 3.0x16 in Bios for the 1080Ti to work.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
No I did not change any of those settings.
I just checked now and PCIe Gen mode in bios was set to Auto.
As @rolli59 said, you may need to change for the 1080ti to now work (or possibly performing a reset of the BIOS to default to reset the "auto" setting).

This still suggests a PSU issue. Try running Superposition (https://benchmark.unigine.com/superposition ). This will stress the GPU and should trigger the same reaction, I would think) as a game failure as previously noted.

v_sammie

Honorable
Sep 17, 2017
Ok I'd like to test this but I'm scared that I'll be stuck with no post on either GPU if I do this.
If I change to PCIe 3.0 then my 4090 might stop working?

And my motherboard's onboard HDMI isn't working either btw.

v_sammie

Honorable
Sep 17, 2017
Oh well then that makes sense :p

I tried Superposition and it doesn't crash. It uses my GPU at 100% and CPU at 7%.

I want to change the PCIe version to 3.0 but first I wanted to save my bios settings to USB.
This however doesn't work: When I press save, it looks like it worked but when I want to load, I can see that no new file was saved on the drive. I tried on 3 different drives.

v_sammie

Honorable
Sep 17, 2017
Sons of the Forest and Cities Skylines 2 are crashing. Alan Wake 2 seems fine (even with raytracing and everything on Ultra) and I haven't tested other games yet since I need to install them all again :/
I'll let you know when I tested some more games.

Edit: I'm sorry, I now realise that this post's title is misleading. When I posted I felt like all games were crashing but perhaps there will be other games like Alan Wake which also don't crash.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hmm ok. Yes that's the other game.
It's surprising that old harware can run the games but new hardware can't
I'm not surprised. Likely a driver issue with a particular game feature. If you looked at driver release notes, just a general comment, you would see all sorts of references to tweaks for specific games/applications.

Since the second game was released just a few weeks ago, I suspect that is the issue with it as well.

v_sammie

Honorable
Sep 17, 2017
I tried some more games:
Rust: crashes in exactly the same way as the previous games: game just closes without error.
Hitman 2 and Oxygen Not Included: no issues.

In all the games which I play, crashes are usually rare.
They maybe happen like once every few months but it's really not a common thing.
Now, the crashes are constant, within a minute on each launch.
I really do think the blame is not with the games but with my system.

IMO the CPU is more likely to blame since it's released only less than 2 months ago (so software bugs might still exist)
My GPU was released a year ago so I'd expect the bugs to be fixed by now.

Last edited:

v_sammie

Honorable
Sep 17, 2017
I found a fix! [edit: nevermind it's still not working]
In the Bios there is a setting called 'CPU Cooler Tuning' with options 'Box cooler' 253W, 'Tower Air Cooler 288W' and 'Water Cooler 4096W'.

For some reason the bios set it by default on the 'Water Cooler' option.
I indeed have a preassembled watercooling kit on the CPU so maybe the bios detected this based on the pump PWM connector.
With this setting on 'Box Cooler', the crashes completely stopped occuring:D

Does this still indicate that the PSU is not powerful enough?

Last edited: