All games freeze then close

XzRaiderzX

Prominent
May 27, 2017
I have a ROG GL702VM, with specs as follows:
Windows 10 Home, Intel® Core™ i7 6700HQ, 8 GB DDR4 @2133MHz, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.

Clue to the title, all of my games "crash", from the most lightweight NFS's from the 2000's to the more intense PUBG, Rainbow 6 Siege and Battlefield 4.

I have undervolted my CPU and GPU as follows:
CPU: XTU, Core Voltage Offset is at -0.120 V
GPU: MSI Afterburner, using the voltage profile from this thread
I have undervolted about 3 months ago, this problem started around 2 months ago.

I have reinstalled Nvidia drivers using DDU. All of my drivers are up to date with the help of Driver Easy.

The way it "crashes" is as follows:
1. The game freezes.
2. The screen distorts with random blocks of colored pixels appearing on either the screen I last saw or a black screen.
3. The game closes with no windows error message. The only times a game has recognized it as a crash is either when Rainbow 6 Siege crashes, the Uplay "Oh no it crashed!" crash reporter opens, or when PUBG crashes, its crash reporter opens.

Can anyone shine some light onto this topic because I have literally no idea where else I can go with this problem.

Solution

You can try another video card, test yours in another system, try another power supply.

Did you set the BIOS to stock already? That should have been the first thing to do since you modified things.

XzRaiderzX

Prominent
May 27, 2017

I tried stress testing and my max temps were:
CPU 76°C
GPU 86°C

I haven't tried ASUS Support (Or maybe I have but didn't get anything out of it, can't remember), nor a clean windows setup.
Is there anything else I can do before doing a clean windows setup? Because I would like to keep it as a last resort.

You can try another video card, test yours in another system, try another power supply.

Did you set the BIOS to stock already? That should have been the first thing to do since you modified things.

Solution

XzRaiderzX

Prominent
May 27, 2017

Well since It's a laptop changing the video card isn't possible.
But, I do have good news. Changing the BIOS settings to stock somehow fixed it.
I'm really grateful for your help. Thanks.