[SOLVED] All Games Lagging

Sarthak Saini

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
I am in a state of despair, all games even the oldies are lagging in my laptop. The games which meet the system requirements of my laptop or have even low system requirements lag in it. I play Far Cry 3 but it lags a lot. There was a time when I played Far Cry Primal and Watch Dogs on 1080p and high graphics with no lag. But now every game lags a lot. Yes but I want to tell something , one day I fell with my laptop in its bag(my brother and I call it "the great fall" but it's another thing). I was very scared but when I powered it on it was working fine as before and all games and softwares were working fine. So I didn't pay it much heed. After 2 - 3 months of that fall all this started happening. Pls help me.
System Specs -
Processor - i3 7020 u(7th Gen) (Dual Core)
RAM - 8 GB
GPU 1- AMD Radeon R5 M330(2 GB)
GPU 2- Intel HD Graphics 620
Operating System - Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Solution
No, other programs are fine, there's no problem in any other thing. Yes, I also think that something got damaged from the fall but why didn't it show up in 2 - 3 months and is giving problems now?
If the problem is on the GPU fan, then sure it take 2 - 3 months because GPU has thermal paste and maybe, it dried out recently, and there's nothing can reduce the heat from your GPU that can result the thermal throttle.

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
You might want to have HWinfo or any other sensors program running to monitor your hardware. Try to stress test the GPU and CPU and use HWinfo. And keep an eye for the temperature of both CPU and GPU and the GPU fan. If your temp is above 90C then it should be a problem. Any rigs above 90C means it's overheating that can result on temp throttle for any of the CPU and GPU performance. And to double check it you might want to run a game while monitoring the CPU and GPU using MSI Afterburner.

And second, have you update your drivers to the latest? The GPU driver or anything.

And as the last option if any of your laptop's part is making any sound then surely there's a problem there and you might want to bring it to the laptop's manufacture service center.

Sarthak Saini

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
You might want to have HWinfo or any other sensors program running to monitor your hardware. Try to stress test the GPU and CPU and use HWinfo. And keep an eye for the temperature of both CPU and GPU and the GPU fan. If your temp is above 90C then it should be a problem. Any rigs above 90C means it's overheating that can result on temp throttle for any of the CPU and GPU performance. And to double check it you might want to run a game while monitoring the CPU and GPU using MSI Afterburner.

And second, have you update your drivers to the latest? The GPU driver or anything.

And as the last option if any of your laptop's part is making any sound then surely there's a problem there and you might want to bring it to the laptop's manufacture service center.
Is a GPU stress test harmful for my GPU?
Also when I downloaded the latest drivers it gave me two options one was to install the recommended version and was the latest optional version. So as it was recommended I installed the lower version.
And yes no part is making any noise, the laptop is as silent as nothing.

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
Is a GPU stress test harmful for my GPU?
Also when I downloaded the latest drivers it gave me two options one was to install the recommended version and was the latest optional version. So as it was recommended I installed the lower version.
And yes no part is making any noise, the laptop is as silent as nothing.
No it isn't. GPU Stress test is a way to know if you're GPU is operating how it should be. And it can determined whether your GPU going insanely hot on underload (like gaming) or not. After you stressed it if you're GPU reach more than 85C then you should be worried about the fan or the thermal paste since normally if the GPU reach more than 85C it'll go thermal throttle which lower the FPS to lower the heat to save your GPU.

And is the lag came whenever you start any game or in the middle of the game?

Last edited:

Sarthak Saini

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
No it isn't. GPU Stress test is a way to know if you're GPU is operating how it should be. And it can determined whether your GPU going insanely hot on underload (like gaming) or not. After you stressed it if you're GPU reach more than 85C then you should be worried about the fan or the thermal paste since normally if the GPU reach more than 85C it'll go thermal throttle which lower the FPS to lower the heat to save your GPU.

And is the lag came whenever you start any game or in the middle of the game?
The average temperature recorded was 55 degree Celsius. Also when I start a game there are sudden bursts of lag after 20 - 30 seconds of smooth gameplay, and this continues for some time after which there is a constant smooth gameplay. When I used MSI After Burner for in game monitoring for the first 10 mins when the GPU temperatures were from 88 - 90 degree Celsius, after that when the game started working fine it was around 55 - 60 degree celsius .

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
The average temperature recorded was 55 degree Celsius. Also when I start a game there are sudden bursts of lag after 20 - 30 seconds of smooth gameplay, and this continues for some time after which there is a constant smooth gameplay. When I used MSI After Burner for in game monitoring for the first 10 mins when the GPU temperatures were from 88 - 90 degree Celsius, after that when the game started working fine it was around 55 - 60 degree celsius .
I don't think it has something to do with viruses except if you've installed any "cracked" programs. You can do full scan using Windows Antivirus. But I'm starting to think if your HDD/SSD is damaged due to your "fall" accident. You can check your HDD/SSD performance using CrystalDiskMark. The inability to read data as how it should be due to it's damaged can result heavy game performance lag. Especially if you're using SSD since SSD is more fragile.

Sarthak Saini

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
I once installed Watch Dogs cracked version and played it 2 - 3 times but as it crashed continuously so I uninstalled it. Also the health status of the HDD was shown "Good" by CrystalDiskMark .

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
I once installed Watch Dogs cracked version and played it 2 - 3 times but as it crashed continuously so I uninstalled it. Also the health status of the HDD was shown "Good" by CrystalDiskMark .
But what if you run programs like Word, Google Chrome, etc? Is it laggy too? if not, there's your Windows is fine.

But considering you reported that at first 10 mins of starting the game the GPU jumped to 88-90 C and dropped to 55-60 I think you may damaged your heat pipe or heat sink of your GPU. Of course at that range of heat, the GPU will thermal throttle the performance and lower the FPS to save it from overheating. And, do you still have your warranty on? If yes, I would 100% suggest for you to bring it to your laptop's manufacture for it to repair it. Basically there's something inside your laptop that's damaged due to the fall. Either it's from your HDD or GPU. And there's nothing you can do except open it up and look it by yourself.

Sarthak Saini

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
But what if you run programs like Word, Google Chrome, etc? Is it laggy too? if not, there's your Windows is fine.

But considering you reported that at first 10 mins of starting the game the GPU jumped to 88-90 C and dropped to 55-60 I think you may damaged your heat pipe or heat sink of your GPU. Of course at that range of heat, the GPU will thermal throttle the performance and lower the FPS to save it from overheating. And, do you still have your warranty on? If yes, I would 100% suggest for you to bring it to your laptop's manufacture for it to repair it. Basically there's something inside your laptop that's damaged due to the fall. Either it's from your HDD or GPU. And there's nothing you can do except open it up and look it by yourself.
No, other programs are fine, there's no problem in any other thing. Yes, I also think that something got damaged from the fall but why didn't it show up in 2 - 3 months and is giving problems now?

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
If the problem is on the GPU fan, then sure it take 2 - 3 months because GPU has thermal paste and maybe, it dried out recently, and there's nothing can reduce the heat from your GPU that can result the thermal throttle.

Solution