Discussion All IPS monitors are causing eye strain. TN not.

bender90

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
I am 100% sure IPS technology somehow negatively affecting my eyes. I can't sit in front of IPS panel any longer than 30 mins. My eye start burning and tearing. I had 3 IPS monitors, which are returned now to a shop due to the same eye strain. They were perfectly calibrated with ideal color temperature and NO PWM. Before IPS monitors I had low quality TN panel with a strong blue tint on my older laptop, I was able to sit in front of it 24/7 without any discomfort. Now, after I returned 3 IPS monitors, I bought TN panel and I feel such a GREAT RELIEF on my eyes , as I can easily work for 8 hours without any problems. Been to optometrist and my eyes are perfect. As i said, all monitors I had , didn't use PWM. It doesn't matter for me is it glossy or matte coating. If it's IPS i have strain with both types. Refresh rate doesn't matter too , on my TN , I am working with 60hz refresh rate, but when gaming - switching to 144hz. I have done a lot of tests with different monitors and I am very certain, that it's partcularly something '' wrong'' with IPS technology. Maybe some tech guys here, have any theory why IPS could be worse than TN on the eyes ? As a graphic designer it's not the best solution to work on the TN monitor all the time, sometimes i need to switch to my new laptop and then i get the eye strain... and I would appreciate any solution, Thanks !

Apr 14, 2019
im not sure about the technical aspects but ips monitors seem to have more light filter through the pixels, which is why they can be viewed from different angles, and also why they have light bleed. tn monitors maybe only have light angled in one direction only, and if you look at it not straight on, the light is not hitting your face directly.
i too have sensitivity to bright monitors and it irks me when tvs or monitors dont let you reduce the brightness as low as you want. i just got an ips monitor and i have to use additiional apps to make it darker, but its not that efficient since the backlight itself should be adjusted, not just the colors on screen.
im thinking of trying out a benq tn gaming monitor to see if it will allow me to costumize the brightness more precisely,

Reactions: crystalcity
Aug 27, 2019
Hey @bender90, I've had the same experience. Last Spring I was shopping for a new ThinkPad and tried several different machines before reluctantly deciding to beef up my aging T530. The TN panel on my T530 doesn't cause me any fatigue whatsoever, but every model I tried with an IPS panel really punished my eyes.

Have you tried an IGZO display? It's a type of low-power IPS. I'm thinking of trying one to see if it's any better, but it may be a long shot.

Have you tried an OLED? They are up and coming, but they work completely differently from any LCD monitors, so they may be better on your eyes.
OLEDs have great colors and rich blacks.

Also, you could try a VA panel. They are a happy medium between IPS and TN in some cases. On par viewing angles to IPS, but colors are in between IPS and TN (according to my eyes). VA panels aren't as responsive as IPS or TN I hear, although I cant notice a difference when they are all at 60hz.

I haven't experienced eyestrain from any type of display, however I actually can't stand to use TN laptop screens since I constantly find myself tilting the screen to fine a not washed out angle.