[SOLVED] All-new PC but same SSD, what now?

Fire-Wire

Honorable
Jul 13, 2017
My PC exploded, and I lost my mobo and my gpu, so I had no time to backup my things. I seized the opportunity to fully upgrade. The thing is, now I have another mobo (from a MSI B250 to an Asus B560), another GPU (from an Asus 1060 to an Evga 3060), another CPU (from a i7 7700k to a i5 11600kf) and another PSU (from 550w to 650w, both corsair).

Thing is, will I be able to stick my SSD with everything set for the previous build? Will it work enough that I could do a backup before formating? Will it not work at all? Will it explode or corrupt my SSD's files somehow?

Sadly I have no other PCs that I could use for the backup. So any insights will be deeply appreciated.

Solution
B250+i7-7700k to B560+i5-11600kf......you will almost certainly need a fresh install.
And no, if it needs it, it won't "work enough that I could do a backup before formating ". It will fail at power up.

Suggestions....
Get another drive, install the fresh OS on that.
Later, reconnect your old drive and recover whatever personal files you can. Not applications...just files.
Everything else gets a reinstall with the new OS.

And this is a strong heads up to start a good backup routine.
Your data should never be at the mercy of a single drive or system.

USAFRet

Titan
B250+i7-7700k to B560+i5-11600kf......you will almost certainly need a fresh install.
And no, if it needs it, it won't "work enough that I could do a backup before formating ". It will fail at power up.

Suggestions....
Later, reconnect your old drive and recover whatever personal files you can. Not applications...just files.

Reactions: Fire-Wire
Solution

Fire-Wire

Honorable
Jul 13, 2017

Suggestions....

I was fearing that. But thanks for the info!!