All Of HP's New Pavilion PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valantar

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
Desktops with "7th generation AMD A12" CPUs? Did HP just spoil AMD's Bristol Ridge dekstop launch? Or are these laptop CPUs stuffed into a desktop chassis?

Also, I'm disappointed with the lack of wattages listed at least for larger laptops. I assume that means they're all U-series 15/17W units?

AndyWiryaPeaceful

Reputable
May 3, 2016
why cram number keys into 15" notebooks? It makes the entire notebook goes to the right just because the touchpad needs to be at the center

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Back to school? Apple probably has a 90% market share at my University. Students want small and good looking. As much as I dislike apple, they got it right.
Parents also want affordable and Apple definitely doesn't fit that bill.The desktops especially are a worthwhile investment for school,decent amount of power for the price.

thuckabay

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Not enough memory capacity. Every new machine should be expandable / purchasable with 32GB to 64GB of memory, preferably ECC memory. 16GB just won't cut it today for power users.

Interesting to see that HP ditched the 1600x900 resolution display on their 17.3" Pavilions. I have one and it was junk (original i3 G7 with 4GB RAM). The cooling fan lasted not even two years and I had to replace it myself out of warranty. Then the WD 500GB hard drive crapped out.

I decided to rebuild it with a new i5 CPU and upgraded the memory to 8GB and installed a new SSD. Then when upgrading from the original Win7 to Win10, the WiFi stopped working. It was a Realtek issue that HP somehow missed the boat on in Win10 upgrading. Total PITA. I would not recommend HP to anyone. The only reason it's a decent laptop now is because I essentially refurbished it myself.

Are you serious? Pavilion laptops are not power user laptops. They are consumer level. And ECC memory is best used for servers with Xeon processors. Unless you are connecting a laptop to a nuclear reactor for monitoring and need 100% no-fault accuracy guaranteed, you do not need ECC in a laptop (like the Mac Pro).

Nuckles_56

Admirable
Back to school? Apple probably has a 90% market share at my University. Students want small and good looking. As much as I dislike apple, they got it right.
Well, here in Australia, my experience has been that even in arts, you don't have 90% of people with a mac. You might get up to 75% max, but as you move towards the more science related subjects, the less macs you see

F-minus

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
Well, here in Australia, my experience has been that even in arts, you don't have 90% of people with a mac. You might get up to 75% max, but as you move towards the more science related subjects, the less macs you see

Pretty much, the only Macbooks I see are with the social studies body of the university.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Back to school? Apple probably has a 90% market share at my University. Students are more interested in appearances, in particular image (brand recognition), and wealth projection - and don't an i7 from an iPhone
There, fixed that for you. University students outside of engineering disciplines are mostly representative of the general sheepulace, only they're simultaneously more arrogant and less experienced. A hilarious combination, to be sure. They're the perfect target for Apple, since they're already getting brainwashed anyway, what's one more Imhotep to follow?

thuckabay

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Not enough memory capacity. Every new machine should be expandable / purchasable with 32GB to 64GB of memory, preferably ECC memory. 16GB just won't cut it today for power users.

Nuckles_56

Admirable

For the 0.01% of users who actually need that much RAM you mean. And who can afford to use more powerful custom machines

Status
Not open for further replies.