Question all of my ports are closed

Jul 12, 2024
Salutations!,

Okay.If you believe me, I've tried everything (firewall disabled, network private, static address) and it still doesn't work. When I tried to set a static IP address, it said that DHCP wasn't allowed, which I rectified with an automatic IP address. But my ports aren't functional. After that, when I called my ISP, they informed me that my wireless router (MF286R) was the source of my issue.(it need to be wire router) However, I think I can use my wireless router to port forward. I then port-scanned every port, but they are all closed. Thank you in advance if you can assist me.
8hziDZk.png

I suspect you do not have a public IP address. Port forwarding is purely a method to get past restriction NAT causes when your router tries to map the public IP to your internal machines.

Since the router you list is a LTE mobile broadband router I suspect the WAN interface on the router is using private IP. Most mobile broadband connections do not give public IP addresses to end devices. You only really need a public IP id you are running some kind of server and most mobile broadband devices are portable devices like cell phones that do not run servers.

You might be able to see the IP assigned to the wan on your router. These device vary a lot so I can't tell you where to look. Although you can look up the definitions to see what is a public/private IP the simple way is to compare it to the IP you see on whatsmyip. If they are different there is a another NAT being done and you likely have a private IP.

Call and ask you ISP if they can give you a public IP. Some systems are not designed to allow it others they want extra money for the IP.

Before you continue on this project why do you think you need to do port forwarding. You made no mention of the type of server you were running and what port it runs on. This makes me think you are reading those stupid posts from people that think port forwarding will make shooter type games like counterstrike faster. There is massive amounts of people who have no clue and cut and paste wrong information for games that are using company run servers.

Even if you port forward all those ports they will still be closed unless you have a server function that will respond on the ports.

Jul 12, 2024
I suspect you do not have a public IP address. Port forwarding is purely a method to get past restriction NAT causes when your router tries to map the public IP to your internal machines.

Since the router you list is a LTE mobile broadband router I suspect the WAN interface on the router is using private IP. Most mobile broadband connections do not give public IP addresses to end devices. You only really need a public IP id you are running some kind of server and most mobile broadband devices are portable devices like cell phones that do not run servers.

You might be able to see the IP assigned to the wan on your router. These device vary a lot so I can't tell you where to look. Although you can look up the definitions to see what is a public/private IP the simple way is to compare it to the IP you see on whatsmyip. If they are different there is a another NAT being done and you likely have a private IP.

Call and ask you ISP if they can give you a public IP. Some systems are not designed to allow it others they want extra money for the IP.

Before you continue on this project why do you think you need to do port forwarding. You made no mention of the type of server you were running and what port it runs on. This makes me think you are reading those stupid posts from people that think port forwarding will make shooter type games like counterstrike faster. There is massive amounts of people who have no clue and cut and paste wrong information for games that are using company run servers.

Even if you port forward all those ports they will still be closed unless you have a server function that will respond on the ports.
Yeah I cannot mention that, because this doesn't allowed me, it gives some error when I tell about mc. anyways I want to port forward a mc server. so I need to call my ISP and they should give me Public IP?
EDIT: Yea, I checked and the wan ip is different than public ip on whatismyip

Last edited:
Not sure why minecraft server tend to be one of the most common ones talked about on this forum. It is actually one of the easier ones to get setup since it use only 1 port from what I understand.

It will now come down to how much does your ISP want to charge you for a public IP. There are massive numbers of data centers that will let you rent pretty much any size minecraft serer you want. It might be cheaper to just rent a server.

Jul 12, 2024
When I called my ISP, they informed me that all ports were open for this particular router type. The issue, then, is that because I have a wireless router, I have to make anything on my own. They would have assisted if I had a wired router. claimed not to have access to a wireless router. The solution they gave to me was that I need to change to automatic Ip address in my router

Sounds like you have a clueless tech. Sometime AI might be better it would have scanned google and learn what the terms PUBLIC and PRIVATE IP mean.

It is impossible to buy a "wired" router unless they are going to run a fiber between your house and the nearest cell tower.....and that still doesn't fix the problem that they do not give out public IP.

The first thing you must have is a IP address that is yours alone and nobody else on the internet uses. That is what a public IP is.

What you do inside your house and setting you make on your router/pc etc do not matter.

You can do nothing about the IP address that is being set on the WAN port. The ISP is in full control over what IP they give to their customers.

The setting on the page you list are related the IP addresses used on the LAN port inside your house. None of this matters until the ISP give you a public IP on the WAN port. Maybe after you get a public IP your might need to makes some changes on this screen but for now you can ignore all this. Things like this are step 3 or step 4 in the process. Most times you make the changes on the machine that is the server. None of that matters. Step 1 is always confirm that you have a public IP assigned to your router.

Jul 12, 2024
Yeah, so. I know how wire router functions but the thing is that they said that they don't have access to my router and all I can do is that I need to check at my router on device manager website. i.e to change my IP address

It is not a setting on YOUR router. Although overly simplified it is a setting on the ISP router that is on the cell tower. They can technically change this but the low level tech likely can not and it is hard to say who has administrator rights to the device within the ISP.

What this all means is your ISP does not offer public IP and does not want to admit that fact. They do not include information like this in the scripts the level 1 tech read when you call them and level 1 techs tend to be no better than a bot they can only follow their programing..ie script.

You have few options. Maybe get a different ISP that does offer public IP.

After that everything costs money. The cheapest when it comes to minecraft servers is to just rent a small server. They are very inexpensive if only a couple people are going to play with you.

You can also get VPN services that offer public IP. Only a small number of vpn providers offer this and it is a added cost to the base vpn function. The cheapest one I saw was about $15/month if you paid 2 years up front.

Then you can go big time and rent bare servers from cloudflare or google. This is more something you see a streamer do that plays multiple different games with their viewers.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Port forwarding has nothing to do whether your router is wired or wireless.

Home routers by default don't open any ports. You only open ports when you want to run some services that need to communicate with outside world, like email or ftp, web, self-hosted vpn.. etc. servers. And you will need a static LAN IP for your device (usually PC) so you can do port forwarding to. You have to do this yourself, no free tech support will do this for you in the world. If you are not serving anything, you likely don't need to open any ports.

Besides, your router probably does not have a static WAN IP and the IP will change from time to time. For outside world to communicate your device you will need a static WAN IP or a domain name (dynamic or not), or you have tell your friend every time the WAN IP changes.

The following is just a random video I searched on youtube. There are a lot of tutorials on the topic, for sure.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0anm5cRY2Uk

Last edited:

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
I don't play games, but since you mentioned MC server, it seems a lot of people use Radmin VPN (a reputable company), which probably don't need you to do port forwarding when you setup minecraft server when you or your friend create and join a named network. But you do need to give the server's port number to another person.

The easy way
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKoUe2nz_8g

The hard way.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X75GbRaGzu8

Just found another option without port forwarding. Don't know if it can be trusted.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itVVhcid2_Q

Last edited: