[SOLVED] all pc fans stay on after shutdown indefinitely! help!

Jan 25, 2022
Hey everyone!
I build a new pc about 2 months ago and everything was running smoothly, a week ago I turned it off and left home for a couple of hours and when I came back the fans (CPU AIO, GPU fans, side fans) were running on full power. I have no idea what could cause this since I never tweaked any settings at all. The only thing I can think of is that I started mined crypto using Nicehash quickminer (not sure if this could cause such issues).
I spent a while searching for possible fixes and I have done the following without any success:
1- Shutting down the pc using cmd
2- turned off link state power management in power settings
3- disabled hibernation in cmd
4- updated Intel management engine interface in device manager
5- updated and restored BIOS settings to default
6- scanned for corrupt system files and fixed them in Powershell

my components:
CPU: 11th gen i7-11700k
MB: Asus TUF z590 WIFI plus
BIOS version: 1203 "2021/11/16"
PSU: Be quite 850W 80Plus Gold
GPU: Asus Rtx 3070 Ti

Ever since this started I switch the PSU button off after shutting down the PC because it is super loud, could this harm the PC ?
I appreciate any help from the lovely people on this forum.

Solution
I am not aware of any reasons the fans would restart under the circumstances that you describe.

However, using the PSU button (switch) to power down is likely to corrupt files.

The unknown (to me) is the Nicehash mining software.

Before doing a fresh install of Windows, uninstall and delete Nicehash.

Work with the computer as normal for a few days (without reinstalling Nicehash or doing any mining) and be sure to use the Windows Power icon to shut down the system.

Allow Windows time to catch up on updates,etc.. Determine if, after a few days if the fans remain off after the system is powered down.

= = = =

PSU's can be tested if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it. Or know someone who does...

Ralston18

Titan
And the fans are still continuing to run after the computer is turned off - correct? What are the temperatures?

Turning the computer off by using the PSU switch can and does corrupt files. If you used "sfc /scannow" and/or "dism" that is good but they fixed Windows files.

There could be other files with problems or even other applications running.

Is Windows still up and running? If so, look in Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to determine what all is running in the background.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Do not just randomly start disabling running programs. First find out what the programs are and what they may be doing.

Check Task Scheduler. There may be some trigger in place to keep the system running/mining supposed idly after being shutdown. Look for something being launched at shutdown. Lots of options and configurations are available so look carefully.

If nothing is apparent then the starting point is to disable Nicehash. Ensure that it does not automatically start when the system is booted (Task Manager, Start tab).

Failing that, then completely uninstall Nicehash.

Reactions: Kastor999
Jan 25, 2022
And the fans are still continuing to run after the computer is turned off - correct? What are the temperatures?

Turning the computer off by using the PSU switch can and does corrupt files. If you used "sfc /scannow" and/or "dism" that is good but they fixed Windows files.

There could be other files with problems or even other applications running.

Is Windows still up and running? If so, look in Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to determine what all is running in the background.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Do not just randomly start disabling running programs. First find out what the programs are and what they may be doing.

Check Task Scheduler. There may be some trigger in place to keep the system running/mining supposed idly after being shutdown. Look for something being launched at shutdown. Lots of options and configurations are available so look carefully.

If nothing is apparent then the starting point is to disable Nicehash. Ensure that it does not automatically start when the system is booted (Task Manager, Start tab).

Failing that, then completely uninstall Nicehash.

After turning the computer off normally through windows it goes over the usual shutdown process and then the screens don't post anymore. After that the fans kick in (at this stage I switch the PSU button off). I went through Task Scheduler and I did not find any trigger at shutdown so far. As for temperatures in general they are pretty normal (avg cpu temp is around 35c), I checked temps several times right before shutdown to see if it could be triggered by high temp but the fans will run whether temps are high (after gaming) or low (on idle). I also uninstalled Nicehash quickminer but it didn't fix anything.

Ralston18

Titan
"After turning the computer off normally through windows it goes over the usual shutdown process and then the screens don't post anymore. After that the fans kick in (at this stage I switch the PSU button off) "

"in (at this stage I switch the PSU button off) "

That is not what I understand Windows to "expect".

Windows must be allowed time to do it's own housekeeping and other preparations for the next start/boot up. Then shut down.

However, if my understanding is correct then that is not happening.

The fans kicking in after shutdown is a clue.

I am not one to think "virus", "malware" etc. as an initial reaction.

Something else is going on. Scan for malware, viruses, etc,.

Even if nothing is found start preparing for a clean Windows install.

Reference:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/

Jan 25, 2022
"After turning the computer off normally through windows it goes over the usual shutdown process and then the screens don't post anymore. After that the fans kick in (at this stage I switch the PSU button off) "

"in (at this stage I switch the PSU button off) "

That is not what I understand Windows to "expect".

Windows must be allowed time to do it's own housekeeping and other preparations for the next start/boot up. Then shut down.

However, if my understanding is correct then that is not happening.

The fans kicking in after shutdown is a clue.

I am not one to think "virus", "malware" etc. as an initial reaction.

Something else is going on. Scan for malware, viruses, etc,.

Even if nothing is found start preparing for a clean Windows install.

Reference:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/

thank you, I am now preparing for a fresh install of windows. I scanned for malware, viruses and the scan was clean.
I have found another clue though, after the normal shutdown of windows the pc goes silent as if it was completely off (fans at this stage are turning off), a second after that the fans work again on full power. if I turn off the PSU button here off and wait a bit then turn it on again the fans kick on again even if I do not turn the PC on. Could this indicate a faulty PSU or MB allowing electrical current to flow when it should not?

Ralston18

Titan
I am not aware of any reasons the fans would restart under the circumstances that you describe.

However, using the PSU button (switch) to power down is likely to corrupt files.

The unknown (to me) is the Nicehash mining software.

Before doing a fresh install of Windows, uninstall and delete Nicehash.

Work with the computer as normal for a few days (without reinstalling Nicehash or doing any mining) and be sure to use the Windows Power icon to shut down the system.

Allow Windows time to catch up on updates,etc.. Determine if, after a few days if the fans remain off after the system is powered down.

= = = =

PSU's can be tested if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it. Or know someone who does.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However mining is hard on power supplies so any voltages out of tolerance make the PSU very suspect.

First try eliminating Nicehash as a suspect and then go from there.....

Solution