All Three Windows 8 Preview Builds Expiring Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
"Maybe that two-hour rebooting will eventually push stubborn beta users into forking out cash before time runs out on the discount."
Nah, I'll just go back to using Win7 :p
Even after giving it a chance, the OS is still a little sour for me. Not to mention USB 3.0 won't work on it since there aren't any Win8 USB 3.0 drivers for my motherboard!
Along with the fact that searching for stuff is simply just easier on Windows 7 x)

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I have the Win 8 x64 CP version installed but I have not booted it in months, I wonder how it stands now, having not used it in a while. I have zero interest in it at all over my Win 7 pro x64 + Linux OSes. The new UI is absolutely useless for me on my desktop with a mouse+keyboards+no-touchscreen display.

aoneone

May 27, 2011
Bahaha Steve Ballmer is going to be fired. ^_^ I'm so glad I didn't bother wasting my time with Windows 8. Sigh... I knew it would crash and burn and it probably is worse than Vista. Anyways~ Happy holidays! hehe

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Those who insist in using the preview builds after the expiration date will see their computer rebooted every two hours, similar to the way Microsoft handles unactivated copies of other Windows releases.

Unactivated Windows 7 computers don't reboot every two hours, they just shower you with messages to activate.

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Take advantage of the speed and features, and if the UI bothers you, install Stardock's Start8.

I installed it a week and a half ago. Everything works, the upgrades to the File Explorer and Task Manager are great, and the OS is crazy fast. I'm giving myself another week to get used to the Modern UI, and if it doesn't happen, I'll happily shell out the $5 to Stardock.

Three years ago, I passed up a $20 upgrade from Vista to 7. I didn't need it since all of my drivers and programs worked without problem, and I just didn't see the need. But then I grew to depend on the subtle UI upgrades in 7 while at work, and it became frustrating to continue using Vista at home. You may not feel like you want Windows 8 now, especially if everything is working in 7, but do you really think two or three years from now you'll still be happy with 7 over 8?

Just an opinion from someone who was skeptical, who made sure he could switch back to Windows 7 if he changed his mind, but then grew to appreciate the other aspects of Windows 8. Two thirds of the bad things I hear about Windows 8 just aren't true, and the other third are a matter of preference, which you can change for $5. I just don't understand the blind negativity towards this. For $40, I think it is smart. And for $15, I think it is a no-brainer.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I want to hear the latest reports from Steven Sinofsky about how well Win8 is doing in the real world.

Steven Sinofsky? Hello?

Maybe Ballmer can find him.

jakes69

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
same here, I was skeptic about installing Window 8 at first...but after a week or so usage I'm loving it. There are always something I dislike about every OS...Window 8 is no different.

halcyon

Splendid
Win 8 is fine (I was way skeptical too). I got Start8 and it works better than perfect...but its not really necessary for me any longer. ...but for $5? There's no longer any excuse...at least not until the end of January.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
@ LukeCWM:

"Take advantage of the speed and features, and if the UI bothers you, install Stardock's Start8."

What features? Every time you click on a jpg the bloody things goes into that crappy metro-picture viewing, I reckon it's a joy for epileptic. You have to "add" stuff tuf browse the pics. Not only is this a pile of shit it works like shit too.

"But then I grew to depend on the subtle UI upgrades in 7 while at work,"

The difference between vista and 7 is far less than the omissions in Win8 coupled with the radical different start-systems (which make OS handling FAR worse.)

"but do you really think two or three years from now you'll still be happy with 7 over 8?"

Sure, like I'm still more than happy with with Windows XP SP3 on my present rig. For a lot of (multimedia) stuff XP is BETTER then Vista/7/8 and for the other stuff it isn't worth the effort. For instance Open Office works as good on XP then it does on Windows 7; so why change OS?

" but then grew to appreciate the other aspects of Windows 8. "

In my own case it was the other way around. I wanted to like the metro UI but I discovered so much annoyances that my interest quickly turned sour. The hassle you need to do to switch of the PC, the ridiculous amount of clicks and myriad of movements to remember to do the most trivial things like seeing all apps or shutting down an app. In fact they didn't even need to remove the start-button as it could have been used to bring forward the start-screen as well. It's like these bozo's threw away the entire book on ergonomics in UI-design and created this monstrosity.

As for Stardock's tool. It cost money. Why pay for something that should have been in this OS.

"I just don't understand the blind negativity towards this."

It's not blind negativity. It's real user experience. From users WHOM downloaded and installed the previews, users whom mentioned flaws and problems to MSFT time and time again, users whom WARNED MSFT NOT to drastically enforce metro upon us. MSFT didn't want to listen, now they will have to pay for it. This time THEIR fat bonusses will be the first victim and then the rest of the company!

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]LukeCWM[/nom]Take advantage of the speed and features, and if the UI bothers you, install Stardock's Start8.I installed it a week and a half ago. Everything works, the upgrades to the File Explorer and Task Manager are great, and the OS is crazy fast. I'm giving myself another week to get used to the Modern UI, and if it doesn't happen, I'll happily shell out the $5 to Stardock.Three years ago, I passed up a $20 upgrade from Vista to 7. I didn't need it since all of my drivers and programs worked without problem, and I just didn't see the need. But then I grew to depend on the subtle UI upgrades in 7 while at work, and it became frustrating to continue using Vista at home. You may not feel like you want Windows 8 now, especially if everything is working in 7, but do you really think two or three years from now you'll still be happy with 7 over 8?Just an opinion from someone who was skeptical, who made sure he could switch back to Windows 7 if he changed his mind, but then grew to appreciate the other aspects of Windows 8. Two thirds of the bad things I hear about Windows 8 just aren't true, and the other third are a matter of preference, which you can change for $5. I just don't understand the blind negativity towards this. For $40, I think it is smart. And for $15, I think it is a no-brainer.[/citation]
Save your $5 and get the free Classic Shell instead.
Also, everyone moaning about Metro UI... nobody is forcing you to use it. Then again why do I expect simpleton clickers to understand such a simple concept. Enjoy your useless Aero, terribly simple Task Manager, primitive networking, missing out on some of the new DX11.1 features etc. I'll take new file copying system, Explorer, seamless network switching between mobile, WLAN and wire and so on. The only true downside with 8 is the forced UAC on administrator accounts (if you want to keep Metro functionality that is). Deleting those stupid desktop.ini/thumbs.db files on my desktop is rather annoying, having to reconfirm the delete for each and every one of them every single day.
Let's not forget the speed of the OS itself and the longer support. I quite fancy the weather app too, even though it's not the most accurate thing (for my town at least), but that's just me.
Pollice verso, come at me.

G

i like windows 8 but after using it for few weeks i like it even more ... metro seems pointless for me so i just mainly use desktop, no start bar no problem for me or my six year old daughter, and for the price i had to buy it, window 7 is good but i've grown to like windows 8 more ... sorry if this upsets the win 8 haters but its a grate o/s not everyones taste although i remember people crying about moving from win98 to xp now these people swear by it ...

G

the apps is about the only thing i diss like about windows 8 it makes me feel like im installing spyware or something like that so i dont bother using them lol

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Win8 Expired on my computer the day after I installed it >_>[/citation]My Win8 Expired the same day I installed it, My computer made me remove Win8, it didn't enjoy pretending to be something it's not.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
[citation][nom]stevevnicks[/nom]the apps is about the only thing i diss like about windows 8 it makes me feel like im installing spyware or something like that so i dont bother using them lol[/citation]

So does anything else you get from the web. So far these apps has brought better experience then most of these "freebie" desktop programs. They are mini games that are really addicting. Much better than flash games that's for sure. Now that's spyware for ya lol.

disolitude

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Lol, all the outrage about Windows 8. You haters should start a union... Same mentality. "They took our jobs" = "They took our start button".

G

I still have Windows 7 RC installed on my desktop since it was first released back in 2009. Been ignoring the pop-up reminders.

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]epdm2be[/nom]@ LukeCWM: "Take advantage of the speed and features, and if the UI bothers you, install Stardock's Start8."What features? Every time you click on a jpg the bloody things goes into that crappy metro-picture viewing, I reckon it's a joy for epileptic. You have to "add" stuff tuf browse the pics. Not only is this a pile of shit it works like shit too. "But then I grew to depend on the subtle UI upgrades in 7 while at work,"The difference between vista and 7 is far less than the omissions in Win8 coupled with the radical different start-systems (which make OS handling FAR worse.)"but do you really think two or three years from now you'll still be happy with 7 over 8?"Sure, like I'm still more than happy with with Windows XP SP3 on my present rig. For a lot of (multimedia) stuff XP is BETTER then Vista/7/8 and for the other stuff it isn't worth the effort. For instance Open Office works as good on XP then it does on Windows 7; so why change OS? " but then grew to appreciate the other aspects of Windows 8. "In my own case it was the other way around. I wanted to like the metro UI but I discovered so much annoyances that my interest quickly turned sour. The hassle you need to do to switch of the PC, the ridiculous amount of clicks and myriad of movements to remember to do the most trivial things like seeing all apps or shutting down an app. In fact they didn't even need to remove the start-button as it could have been used to bring forward the start-screen as well. It's like these bozo's threw away the entire book on ergonomics in UI-design and created this monstrosity.As for Stardock's tool. It cost money. Why pay for something that should have been in this OS. "I just don't understand the blind negativity towards this."It's not blind negativity. It's real user experience. From users WHOM downloaded and installed the previews, users whom mentioned flaws and problems to MSFT time and time again, users whom WARNED MSFT NOT to drastically enforce metro upon us. MSFT didn't want to listen, now they will have to pay for it. This time THEIR fat bonusses will be the first victim and then the rest of the company![/citation]

Yeah, it was annoying that all the images opened in some full-screen metro app that couldn't view them, or couldn't view the next picture in series. So, I right-clicked the photo file, selected "Open with", selected "Windows Photo Viewer" (just like Windows 7), and problem solved. (Keep in mind this process is the same as in Windows 7, Vista, and XP when some burdensome program decides to be the only media opener in the world for you, and you tell it to go sit in the corner so you can continue using the program you prefer. I can't count the number of times in my life I've had to switch the default program away from some overzealous new program.) I haven't yet found a metro app that I like more than the desktop version, but Windows 8 isn't only metro apps.

epdm2be, you're not even closed to being unbiased. You said, "what features?", and then go on a tirade about something you don't like. Something you don't like has nothing to do with good features and is not an appropriate argument for saying there aren't any good features.

Speaking realistically, after using Windows 8 for a week and a half, opening a program in the Modern UI is as fast as the Start Menu, and searching for a program by name in the Modern UI is as fast as the Start Menu. Literally, click for click. They're the same number of mouse clicks. And it is very easy to see the full list of programs installed in the Metro UI, although I admit I didn't know it the first time I tried. But neither would a user new to Windows. There will always be a learning curve with software, and your argument of "X is better than Y" simply because "I know X and I haven't given Y the time of day" doesn't hold water.

epdm2be, I don't mean to be critical, but it is much better to get to the bottom of this than throwing mud on things in a rage. I'm a gamer, computer geek, IT professional by day, and fan of Windows 7. However, I'm sharing the positive aspects of Windows 8 that I've seen and explaining that I'm glad I've made the choice I did. If you happen to prefer XP, good for you. But I think the average user will learn 8 and find it easy in as much time as it took for them to learn 7 and find it easy. And I think the computer enthusiast has things to appreciate too if he/she can just get past the complaints of ignorant whiners to actually try it. No, it's not perfect, but it's good. And there are a lot of improvements I think make it worth it.

It's like the end of Ratatouille, when the famous food critic writes his review: the gist of what he said is that it is very easy fall into the cycle of harsh criticism, even where unwarranted, but takes a greater person to, when appropriate, look past it and all preconceived notions to side with another view.

Status
Not open for further replies.