All Three Windows 8 Preview Builds Expiring Soon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

>MarioJP
>Guys its only a start button.

Tell that to the general consumer who is an illiterate PC user.
As they smash the keyboard and grind the mouse.

MarioJP = NOOB, Clueless, self centered.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]disolitude[/nom]Lol, all the outrage about Windows 8. You haters should start a union... Same mentality. "They took our jobs" = "They took our start button".[/citation]
Maybe we haters should start a union, a union against haters of haters of Win8.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
[citation][nom]chewonthisone[/nom]>MarioJP >Guys its only a start button.Tell that to the general consumer who is an illiterate PC user.As they smash the keyboard and grind the mouse.MarioJP = NOOB, Clueless, self centered.[/citation]

I don't deal with people stuck in the past sorry. For the record these people you speak of have other devices and funny i been helping people configure their mobile devices Won't be long before i get my hands on a surface tablet
Devices i have dealt with so far are

Android Tablet
Iphone
ipad
Droid phone

Further moots your point of relativity lol

G

Windows 8 was well past its sell by date before it was released! And just like curdled milk in the fridge, you gag and violently heave you cookies once you get a taste of this rotting Metro/Modern UI ooze!

G

>MarioJP >Guys its only a start button.Tell that to the general consumer who is an illiterate PC user.As >they smash the keyboard and grind the mouse.MarioJP = NOOB, Clueless, self centered.
>
>I don't deal with people stuck in the past sorry

HAHAHAHH Yes you are a total NOOB .. yes I am in the future.. something Noobs like you don't know about..
Try using a MAC.. (( oooooo )) you might learn/do something useful.. it is called UNIX.. lol.
Total clueless Noob you are.

G

>MarioJP >Guys its only a start button.Tell that to the general consumer who is an illiterate PC user.As >they smash the keyboard and grind the mouse.MarioJP = NOOB, Clueless, self centered.
>

HAHAHAHH Yes you are a total NOOB .. yes I am in the future.. something Noobs like you don't know about..
Try using a MAC.. (( oooooo )) you might learn/do something useful.. it is called UNIX.. lol.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
>

I have a imac too i configured that but i gave it to my mom. Nice hardware but i like to configure my own hardware is the only issue i have with macs. other than that Mountain Lion has Apps!! In fact if Windows goes back to the old boring traditional desktop and the windows store removed then i will switch to a mac. These apps are very addicting is the only reason why i upgraded to windows 8. Yes if you are from the future like you say you are. Must of dialed the wrong date on your time machine it is not the future you speak of. Windows 8 is just feels clean and tightly integrated. OSX is good too. Both are better than 7 in my opinion.

Novulux

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Upgraded from preview to Pro for $40 on a new build. I think the money I save justifies an extra mouse click to get to the desktop. Only annoying thing is when videos/PDFs/ and images are opened with Metro Apps but that's easily remedied after one time by right clicking and setting a default program...

While I understand some of the hate towards the new UI, I really don't get most of it. Yes it is different, and seemingly unnecessarily so on some aspects, but it is hardly out-and-out bad, and the old start menu was hardly the best thing ever.

For myself I upgraded because I wanted to move from win7 home to pro, and it is heck of a lot cheaper to upgrade for $40 than it would be to buy a whole new COA for win7Pro. For day to day use I rarely ever see the Start menu as I am in desktop most of the time, and when you go to sleep from desktop (there is a sleep key on my keyboard) then when you wake (after inserting the password) then it goes straight to desktop. No big deal. then when it comes to searching I love the new search feature; Winkey and start typing, just like win7, but unlike win7 it gives you search results from many aspects of your computer, and even searches within programs and documents if the programs are set up to support it, which I find to be really handy. Then there is the cloud support, which is not perfect, but a pretty good first attempt. And some of the apps are finally getting decent (particularly liking taptiles, solitare, and iHeart Radio), but there is a lot of room to grow on it. Then come the admin features, which are AWESOME! I love the new task manager, and the multi screen support, and the backup/storage spaces options. And it has restore features that actually work, so you don't have to go digging through and finding your disc every time there is a problem. And built in VHD and VCD is so much nicer than having to rely on 3rd party apps to do it. For all of that I gladly give up on the traditional start menu for the sake of the new interface. It takes very little away, while adding a lot more, and from a business standpoint it makes a lot of sense having a common UI across all MS devices. And if they do what I think they will do with the NextBox then it will really tie in very well, and bring a little revival to the PC gaming industry while closing the gap between consoles and PC. And at the end of the day, when Kinnect and leapmotion style devices become more popular, then the new UI will really make sense for the desktop. Lastly, if you actually organize the start menu to the way you want it, it is actually relatively functional in its own right. I like that with the press of the winkey that I get the basics of the weather, news, calendar, email, etc right there in front of me. Admittedly I do not tend to use the metro apps much, but I like the notification aspect of it, and I think they are really on to something with it.

Not judging anyone who wants to stay with win7 as it is completely understandable, but to say that ALL they changed in win8 was the UI is a little short sighted. A lot of that functionality was capable in win7 via 3rd party apps, but win8 integrates them in much nicer, without all the fuss of managing 100 little mods.

[citation][nom]Novulux[/nom]Upgraded from preview to Pro for $40 on a new build. I think the money I save justifies an extra mouse click to get to the desktop. Only annoying thing is when videos/PDFs/ and images are opened with Metro Apps but that's easily remedied after one time by right clicking and setting a default program...[/citation]
And when you install a desktop program that has the capability for that file association then the next time you open the program it will ask you what you want to default to. After the 2nd week of using it and 'moving in' I have yet to see another one of those pop-ups, and everything goes where I want it to. Far easier than the file association in win7 and previous where installing a new program would simply take over the association and you would have to manuially wade through the list to fix it. with win8 the OS says 'wait a sec, what does the user want' which is something I rather appreciate.

Really, how many power users use the default applications for media viewing on win7 anyways?

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]While I understand some of the hate towards the new UI, I really don't get most of it. Yes it is different, and seemingly unnecessarily so on some aspects, but it is hardly out-and-out bad, and the old start menu was hardly the best thing ever.For myself I upgraded because I wanted to move from win7 home to pro, and it is heck of a lot cheaper to upgrade for $40 than it would be to buy a whole new COA for win7Pro. For day to day use I rarely ever see the Start menu as I am in desktop most of the time, and when you go to sleep from desktop (there is a sleep key on my keyboard) then when you wake (after inserting the password) then it goes straight to desktop. No big deal. then when it comes to searching I love the new search feature; Winkey and start typing, just like win7, but unlike win7 it gives you search results from many aspects of your computer, and even searches within programs and documents if the programs are set up to support it, which I find to be really handy. Then there is the cloud support, which is not perfect, but a pretty good first attempt. And some of the apps are finally getting decent (particularly liking taptiles, solitare, and iHeart Radio), but there is a lot of room to grow on it. Then come the admin features, which are AWESOME! I love the new task manager, and the multi screen support, and the backup/storage spaces options. And it has restore features that actually work, so you don't have to go digging through and finding your disc every time there is a problem. And built in VHD and VCD is so much nicer than having to rely on 3rd party apps to do it. For all of that I gladly give up on the traditional start menu for the sake of the new interface. It takes very little away, while adding a lot more, and from a business standpoint it makes a lot of sense having a common UI across all MS devices. And if they do what I think they will do with the NextBox then it will really tie in very well, and bring a little revival to the PC gaming industry while closing the gap between consoles and PC. And at the end of the day, when Kinnect and leapmotion style devices become more popular, then the new UI will really make sense for the desktop. Lastly, if you actually organize the start menu to the way you want it, it is actually relatively functional in its own right. I like that with the press of the winkey that I get the basics of the weather, news, calendar, email, etc right there in front of me. Admittedly I do not tend to use the metro apps much, but I like the notification aspect of it, and I think they are really on to something with it.Not judging anyone who wants to stay with win7 as it is completely understandable, but to say that ALL they changed in win8 was the UI is a little short sighted. A lot of that functionality was capable in win7 via 3rd party apps, but win8 integrates them in much nicer, without all the fuss of managing 100 little mods.[/citation]

CaedenV, I'm with you. I know how to rearrange the tiles on the Metro UI, and I know how to set default programs for specific file types. There are tons of things underneath the hood that make it great. And like you, I simply don't understand how biased some of these people can be against it. It's like they wear their Windows 8 hate as a badge, just like their Apple hate. I really do think it is something like fanboyism, the way they disregard reason in favor of popular belief shared with like-minded people. But in this case, I think it is fanboyism against a product instead of for it.

I enjoyed your post, and I don't think you're crazy, haha.

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
I was a little put off by Windows 8 at first when I downloaded the beta, But within a couple of weeks I grew to really like it. As for the Start screen (UI) although I see nothing really wrong with it, I downloaded "Classic Shell" It's loaded with tweaks, Bypasses the start screen and goes straight to desktop. It brings back a very nice configurable start button and its totally free. Windows 8 is very smooth and quick and has a lot of improvements under the hood that really enhances everything you do.

kelll

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
I need help! I upgraded from the consumer Preview and lost all my apps. Can I just go back to Consumer?if so how?

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
[citation][nom]kelll[/nom]I need help! I upgraded from the consumer Preview and lost all my apps. Can I just go back to Consumer?if so how?[/citation]
I Don't believe there is any way to go back to the consumer preview, When installing the upgrade it gave the option to do a clean install or keep personal folders. So you may have chose not to keep personal files and folders, I believe that was the only chance to save your apps.

kelll

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
I didn't see that as an option, I looked for something like that out of experience but nothing gave me this as option.

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
[citation][nom]kelll[/nom]I didn't see that as an option, I looked for something like that out of experience but nothing gave me this as option.[/citation]
Instead of installing it immediately, I copied mine to a DVD and then installed it later. That may be the reason it didn't show up on yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.