All USB mice do not work after driver install

ethanhunteg

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
So i've done quite a but of seaching on this and found some simliar problems, but none with answers that have led me in the right direction as of yet.
(This was closest, but again no answer really ... I PMed the user to see what was result, but no response yet http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249238-28-mouse-longer-moves-windows )

Right after installing windows XP on this computer, USB mice wouldn't work. Thought it was a bad mouse and tried another one. When it first got plugged into the USB port it starts being able to move (while windows is installing the proper drivers), and as soon as the driver installation completes the mouse will not move. To fix the problem before I just tried a Ps/2 mouse and that worked fine.

Now I have a use for the computer that I need to be able to use a wireless mouse and keyboard combo (Logitech EX100 if it matters) and again the same scenario happens. When I first plug in the device i'm initially able to move the mouse for the few seconds while windows installs the drivers, as soon as they are installed the device stops moving. After the inital install the mouse just does not work when unplugged/ replugged again. The USB keyboard and the USB keyboard that is the part of the USB mouse and keyboard combo both work fine.

Steps I've tried / pertinent info

1. There is nothing with yellow (!) exclamation in device manager
2. I have tried uninstalling the USB Human interface device as well as USB composite device (wireless combo) and then reinstalling them. Same thing happens i'm able to control mouse and make cursor move while they are being reinstalled but once the install is done they stop.
3. I've tried a repair install of windows a year ago when this started (however I cannot remember if it was with the same CD or not so a possible avenue to take might be a repair install with a freshly burnt win xp SP3 cd, idk)
4. I've tried it in safemode and the same thing happens -USB mice do not work except if they are being installed they work momentarily
5. I've tried it in Knoppix live CD and both USB mouse and the USB mouse part of the wireless combo work just fine (this seems to rule out a bad mobo)
6. I have tried changing the settings in bios for how USB devices are treated (tried full speed vs high speed etc, also tried the emulation support enabled or disabled).... no change

I'm kind of stuck. I don't know what the next diagnostic or repair step should be. I could try another repair install of XP with a freshly burnt CD, or if someone knows how to indivdually replace the USB Human interface device drivers for a mouse maybe that would be helpful (i'm not aware of how to do that).

I'm open to other suggestions or if i've left important info out let me know.

Thanks
Marty

ethanhunteg

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
The same thing happens with both a wired USB mouse (tested more then one of these ) and the wireless mouse that is a part of the wireless logitech desktop, again I've tested both of these on the computer while it was running knoppix live CD and they both work correctly.

ethanhunteg

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
I thought I may as well reinstall the chipset drivers as well just to have that crossed off the rule that out list.

Anyone have other ideas? It seems to be to be narrowed down as a windows XP or driver issue (due to them working fine in linux live cd environment), just a matter of what steps i can take to either narrow it down more or fix the issue.

davidcon

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I'm having the exact same problem (wired laser mouse works for 3-5 seconds, drivers finish installing and it stops working). I suspect it is also keeping my bluetooth mouse from working, since it acts as a pseudo-USB device. I've had both of these devices work on other computers just fine, and the bluetooth mouse only stopped working after I had to do a clean install of the OS after getting a virus. I may have just not installed drivers in the right sequence or something... but it's just very odd, because I can get a Logitech USB mouse (that has its own manufacturer drivers) to work just fine, but plug-n-play generic devices don't work.

ethanhunteg

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
davidcon,

I ended up doing a backup of the system and reinstalling windows using a new installation media (actually I used a new media and also reslipstreamed it with nLite too, but that's kind of above and beyond). Since reinstalling windows the problem is gone completely. All USB mice now automatically install just fine and I've had no other problems with driver issues since.

I know it's not the best answer maybe, but it is what worked when it came down to it.

davidcon

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I was afraid that was going to be the only resolution. It seems to be what most people ended up doing - either re-installing windows or doing a windows repair. I installed my current OS from a flash drive and have since lost the flash drive... so I can't do either at the moment and don't have the time to spend on making a new installation image... guess it'll just have to wait until after I graduate from college in a couple months :)

jack_d

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
WOW!!! old post, for those still running XP like me :)

Encountered same issue, when xp installs device it puts it as (HID-Compliant device) change the driver to HID-Compliant mouse.

- open Device Manager
- expand Human Interface Device
- Now plug in mouse
- Now pick the right HID(there might be more then one) and update the driver

When updating pick advanced / Don't search. There you will see mouse driver

Hope this works for you

NickNasc

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

HELLLP! I have been at this all day. I have tired a bunch of things that people say that works and no go.

It finds the driver then says IT HAS NOT BEEN INSTALLED PROPERLY AND MAY NOT FUNCTION...

This is insane.

jack_d

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

Is your user login Administrator?

Have you tried:
- Windows Update
- Updating system(Chipset,USB2.0/3.0) from manufacture

Possible corrupted profile

Recommend creating another admin account through control panel/User account.

"when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better." - Occams Razor