[SOLVED] All Video Games Are Crashing - I've Tried Everything

Nov 6, 2018
Hi. I've been using my gaming PC for about two years now, and within the past few months it has begun to freeze during gameplay - not the computer itself, but the games. Sometimes, even while just watching YouTube, I'll get a video scheduler internal error blue screen.

At this point I've pretty much confirmed that it's the graphics card, but I'm looking to see if anyone has alternate solutions or perhaps ways to make playing games more bearable until I can get a replacement at Christmas.

These freezes and crashes seem to be interchangeable, though as of late the freezes have become more common. Additionally, while browsing YouTube it is common for my screen to black out for a second and for the sound to pause, requiring me to refresh. Strangely enough, I've never had crashes playing Hitman despite it being quite demanding (at least for my PC). The only other game I've not had problems with is Crusader Kings II. This is incredibly undemanding on the GPU, instead being CPU intensive, so it wouldn't be too odd, but games on the same engine (Europa Universalis IV, Hearts of Iron IV, Victoria II and Stellaris) have all had crashing problems. Other games where crashes have happened include Rimworld, modded Skyrim Special Edition, Dishonored 2 and Divinity Original Sin 2. I play at 1080p (I've tried windowed, false fullscreen and fullscreen, as well as 720p and weirder resolutions on different monitors / tvs).

Things I've tried:
- Replacing Monitor
- Using Different Port - VGA and HDMI, etc
- Replace Motherboard / RAM / CPU / PSU / Fans (and combinations thereof)
- Fresh installation of Windows 10
- Completely removing all graphics drivers and updating to newest ones
- Updating BIOS
- Monitoring temperatures (never gets above 50 C)
- Use different cable for GPU power
- Plugging GPU into different port on motherboard
- Probably more than I've remembered

My Build is as follows:
- Ryzen 5 1600
- MSI Geforce GTX 960 2GB (not amazing, I know, but still shouldn't be crashing like this)
- Unknown 500 W PSU that I got from a friend - he uses the same model with a more demanding PC and it works fine. I've used his in my PC to no avail.
- 2 x 4 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
- GA-AX370-Gaming K5 Motherboard (I've also used another board, not sure of the name, but it's the one that my friend uses with no crashes)

Any help is much appreciated, and as I said I'm upgrading GPU this Christmas anyway - probably a 1060, but it'll depend on how much I have. Thanks guys.

Nov 6, 2018

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have tested the storage and found no issues with it. Additionally, I have installed windows on a much smaller HDD and while I wasn't able to test intensive gaming due to the limited size, I still encountered crashing during YouTube browsing.

Nov 6, 2018

I'll try to test the card in another computer soon. I think I still have the parts from my previous PC, so I'll put them together and post an update here when I've done it.

Also, I have tried with the same model of psu but a different actual one. My friend uses a 1070 and has had no problems. I'll try with a different one nevertheless, just in case there's some issue here.

Thanks again for your help.