All Windows 7 SKUs are OK for Netbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
WOW. Microsoft is listening... What a change from "we tell you what you want" strategy!

Now if Microsoft could just get rid of the Starter Pack all together.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Did MS ever say Vista couldn't be installed on a netbook, or was it simply understood that Vista wouldn't run on a netbook, as it was no where near the minimum system specs?

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I'd like to see a bench of the $2.4k system builder marathon with both Ultimate and Starter installed. I wonder if somethings would run slightly faster with 90% of the OS disabled but still functional.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]I'd like to see a bench of the $2.4k system builder marathon with both Ultimate and Starter installed. I wonder if somethings would run slightly faster with 90% of the OS disabled but still functional.[/citation]
Agreed, I hope Tom's is already prepping for a Win 7 SKU showdown.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
They're just paranoid that Linux (UNR, Chrome OS, Moblin, etc.) will take over the netbook market. Linux just saved the Windows fans from stupid restrictions even if they never use Linux.

abnderby

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Hey running win7 ultimate on my ibm thinkpad x32. pentium M 1800 single corewith 512MB ram. Runs fine much better than RC did. If I had a 5400 RPM drive and 2GB memory it would be much better. Howmy system stacks up against the atom I do not know. Toms should bench the new netbooks against he older mini notebooks like IBM's x30, x31, x32, x40 and x41. All were single core cpu's banias and dothan I believe

abnderby

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Tom's, please revisit your atom and ion netbooks against our older mini notebooks. you know the ones with 12" screens running pentium M and older PIII Tualatin cpu's at 1.2 GHz. It would be interesting to see how the stack up. I just bought several older thinkpad X 32 and x40's for friends and family off ebay for $200. Great little laptops. They actually run windows 7 better than windows xp. Only issue I have seen is win 7 uses generic video driver. other tha that it runs great.

give us some data to compare please

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Did MS ever say Vista couldn't be installed on a netbook, or was it simply understood that Vista wouldn't run on a netbook, as it was no where near the minimum system specs?[/citation]

No you are wrong. I had an HP Netbook 1035NR and I was running Vista Ultimate on it with Aero on. It works.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
QUOTE: "Worried that you'll be buying a netbook a month from now and all you'll be getting is Windows 7 Starter Edition? You have nothing to fear, and for a couple of good reasons. First of all, you can easily upgrade any version of Windows 7 to a higher version through Anytime Upgrade."

Sure, for a price.

G

What would really blow our minds though is a netbook packing Windows 7 Ultimate from the factory.

In my mind,that would be a waste...
What possibly does the ultimate version of 7 have to offer over the starters edition on a netbook?

People buying the ultimate edition on a netbook, might prefer to put their money on a premium edition on a notebook.
Few people are willing to pay +$200 more for a netbook just because it has a higher OS.

I mean,imagine $299 for netbook + Linux OS; $239 for that same netbook + XP; $289 for netbook + Win 7 starter; and $499 for that netbook + Win 7 business!
On a netbook!

No thank you!

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]QUOTE: "Worried that you'll be buying a netbook a month from now and all you'll be getting is Windows 7 Starter Edition? You have nothing to fear, and for a couple of good reasons. First of all, you can easily upgrade any version of Windows 7 to a higher version through Anytime Upgrade."Sure, for a price.[/citation]

Your point? Of course it's going to be for a price, you expected it to be free?

G

I care about battery life, is there any battery performance difference between starter and premium?

I run windows 7 32bit rc2 on my netbook at the moment with all the neat aero affects and what not, but I get 5 hours of battery life, 30 minutes less than my xp partition. Would starter (or just turning of aero) give me more performance?

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
@eyemaster : "
Your point? Of course it's going to be for a price, you expected it to be free?"

The point is this is about cheap netbooks. To causally say in the article you can upgrade at anytime and not reflect on how much more it will cost loses the point of a cheap netbook.

andyviant

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
[citation][nom]buwish[/nom]Turn off all of the fancy aero features and I think W7 would do pretty well on an a medium to high end netbook; regardless of the version.[/citation]

It runs perfectly with those features (and disabling aero for win 7 is a sin IMO - the new taskbar leverages peek far more than vista did). I've been running Win7 Ultimate (RC) on a typical acer aspire one with an n270 for 6 months -- keeps more than 4 apps open often and there's no discernable handicap. I'm not encoding video or gaming, but that's silly talk. In fact, I now use this machine for 95% of my at home computing and only fire up the quad core/gtx 280 for games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS