Allegations Of Kaspersky Lab’s Ties To Russian Intelligence Intensify

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomizer

Champion
Given the number of antivirus products available, it's a whole lot easier to dismiss Kaspersky as a precaution than try to sift through the "facts" to determine if it's actually dodgy. Then you only have to be concerned about ties to US intelligence.

drajitsh

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2016

You apparently did not read the linked article. The question is not whether you believe your antivirus has ties to Russia , but which security agency YOU want your antivirus to have ties with

0InVader0

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
"...stored on an employee’s HOME COMPUTER"

and that's Strike #1

Whether they are demonizing Russia or not (they are), it's up to their own discretion to use a different AV software. It's not like anything bad could come out of The US government's concern for their own security. It is ironic though.

Then again, it's not like you can trust any AV. I recall an eastern Slovakian company creating an AV they would boast how it was the only one that could identify and remove the infamous OneHalf (a.k.a "Slovak Bomber") virus, only for it to later turn out that they were the ones who created said virus.

And of course these guys also got to work at ESET later on (afaik). Take this as a lesson...

parkerygc8

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017
I don't know of too many Russian laws protecting consumer's rights. Hell, American laws for that matter. (we do have a few more)

I guess you can go with Trend Micro. They are a Japanese company. Japan seems to be content minding its own business. Really how can you know any AV is truly safe from backdoors.

I wonder why the FBI is investigating? This seems more like the territory of the CIA or NSA. Doesn't the FBI have enough on its plate investigating federal crimes committed by people within this country?

stinkybird

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
Russia and anything Russian has been used as a political scapegoat by those unhappy with the presidential election results, and by those who wish to keep the military industrial complex well funded.

Kaspersky just happens to fall into the political crosshairs.

samer.forums

Notable
BANNED
Sep 30, 2017

There is no "current" KGB , it was dissolved in 1991. besides , whats your problem with Russia anyways ? the USSR is no more and Russia is not a threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.