News Alleged Nvidia RTX 40-series Super GPU specs and launch dates leaked

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In addition, to borrow a chart from TPU from their review (which used 25 games), and from TH (9 games), assuming the 4080 Super is as in the supposed specs and will be about 5% faster (based on the small spec bump of about 5%), that's only going to put it on par with the 7900 XTX which has 24GB VRAM. With FSR maturing and the possiblity AMD releases their own refreshed lineup with a spec bump, does nVidia dare again be cheapskates and release a 4080 Super with just 16GB VRAM while depending on DLSS3 to shift units, especially if their prices are again higher than AMD? And if they are, even if it is marginally cheaper than the non Super variant, how many people would actually recommend it instead of waiting for the next generation?

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

8qpJfwPLAoXjbb7tLZno67.png

Aurn

Commendable
Jun 26, 2021
My solution to this is just to try to buy the most sensible parts or whole computer when it’s time to upgrade, and then ignore games that have too high hardware requirements until my next PC. As I have only been upgrading every 4.5–6 years, this can require patience, but there are also plenty of older games to play. I’d like to have a more flexible and continuous approach to upgrading, but this hasn’t been possible for me because I can’t build a PC by myself, so I’d need to have someone who can help more regularly

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM and valthuer
My solution to this is just to try to buy the most sensible parts or whole computer when it’s time to upgrade, and then ignore games that have too high hardware requirements until my next PC. As I have only been upgrading every 4.5–6 years, this can require patience, but there are also plenty of older games to play. I’d like to have a more flexible and continuous approach to upgrading, but this hasn’t been possible for me because I can’t build a PC by myself, so I’d need to have someone who can help more regularly

At this point the only things you will need to regularly (every 5 years) upgrade is the GPU and perhaps the SSD if you're hard on it. It's going to be a -long- time before the 7800X3D, or 5800X3D for that matter, becomes insufficient for gaming. To borrow a CPU scaling chart from TH's article (no 4080 or 4090 article exists for some reason), even a (now) 10 year old 4770k doesn't substantially impact it, and it's going to take a card with twice the bandwidth requitements to start to push PCIe 4.0 x16, so you're realistically looking at a PSU's warranty period (10-12 years for quality units) as the total replacement time.

5fAK6z2suUNXHuuPqEuxm7.png

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

Reactions: Aurn
Status
Not open for further replies.