[SOLVED] allowed to change the steering wheel of an car?

MLG_No_Scope

Respectable
May 23, 2017
Am i allowed to change the steering wheel of an car? the steering will still be permanent, not like those steering wheels in F1 that you can pull off, but more an steering wheel in that form of design

I live in the netherlands and can't really find an answer. maybe you have an clue?

Solution
but then i want other functionality on the steering wheel, like an kilometer display, handshifters and all kind of other modifications
Never heard of any kind of a display ON the steering wheel.
And if you want those paddle shifters, then I suggest you buy a car that already has them. Because now you're talking about serious modification connecting to the transmission.

MLG_No_Scope

Respectable
May 23, 2017

thanks man ;)

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
The concern comes from airbags. Screw that up and someone could get hurt. On older cars without airbags, it wasn't uncommon to swap out the steering wheel. Though even those (I have a '73 plymouth) required special tools to do so.

racksmith101

Respectable
Used to do it on cars all the time in the UK fitting MOMO steering wheels. You can still do it now in the UK just have to disconnect the airbags but the Netherlands is a different matter you have loads of laws about what you can and
cannot mod on a car, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that you can only change parts on a car if they are manufacturer specced ones, ie change a standard fiesta steering wheel for an st one.

MLG_No_Scope

Respectable
May 23, 2017
So the following things that i made an requirement are:

1) Airbags, they can save your life one day
2) Car horn, might be very usefull later
3) Windscreen, front and rear for when it is raining
4) blinking indicator, so others know where i want to go.

those are the things that needs to be on the car as i know, but then i want other functionality on the steering wheel, like an kilometer display, handshifters and all kind of other modifications

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
but then i want other functionality on the steering wheel, like an kilometer display, handshifters and all kind of other modifications
Never heard of any kind of a display ON the steering wheel.
And if you want those paddle shifters, then I suggest you buy a car that already has them. Because now you're talking about serious modification connecting to the transmission.

Solution