[SOLVED] Almost every single game crashes after installing an RTX 2060

Jul 27, 2021
I've been getting lots of headaches ever since I swapped my good old 1050Ti for a brand new RTX 2060. Games keep crashing, sometimes making the desktop black out forcing me to force reset.

I uninstalled the old 1050Ti drivers with DDU and installed the most recent Game Ready drivers (471.41) and the issue popped up ever since I did that. This never happened on the 1050Ti.

Some Unreal 4 games give me a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED or DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error after crashing

This is my build:

Ryzen 5 2600

Zotac RTX 2060

Mobo Gigabyte GA-A320M-H

PSU Corsair VS500 80plus White

Any ideas on what the heck is going on?

Solution
It's a power issue.

corsair VS line was probably the worst PSU Corsair has ever produced (not to be confused with VX line which was quite formidable in its price segment), additionally that PSU is very old, it has been discontinued years ago.

The reason why you haven't had any issues with 1050Ti is because it doesn't require external power, it draws all it needs from PCIExpress slot it's plugged into.
RTX 2060 requires addtional power through 8pin PCIEx molex. VS500 comes with 1x8 pin eps and only 1x 6pin PCIEx cable.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
It's a power issue.

corsair VS line was probably the worst PSU Corsair has ever produced (not to be confused with VX line which was quite formidable in its price segment), additionally that PSU is very old, it has been discontinued years ago.

The reason why you haven't had any issues with 1050Ti is because it doesn't require external power, it draws all it needs from PCIExpress slot it's plugged into.
RTX 2060 requires addtional power through 8pin PCIEx molex. VS500 comes with 1x8 pin eps and only 1x 6pin PCIEx cable.

Last edited:
Solution

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
I've been getting lots of headaches ever since I swapped my good old 1050Ti for a brand new RTX 2060. Games keep crashing, sometimes making the desktop black out forcing me to force reset.

I uninstalled the old 1050Ti drivers with DDU and installed the most recent Game Ready drivers (471.41) and the issue popped up ever since I did that. This never happened on the 1050Ti.

Some Unreal 4 games give me a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED or DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error after crashing

This is my build:

Ryzen 5 2600

Zotac RTX 2060

Mobo Gigabyte GA-A320M-H

Hey. Try removing the save files and putting them into another location. THIS WORKED FOR ME.

The other cause might be the low quality PSU.
Let me know if it worked please.

Save files are located in the documents folder. You have to remove ALL the files in the game save file folder , not just the save files. This is because there are configuration files in there too.

If it works, delete the config files and put the save files back in.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021

This is my build:

Ryzen 5 2600

Zotac RTX 2060

Mobo Gigabyte GA-A320M-H

Hi, I am having the same issues with a RTX 2080ti OC I upgraded to from a RTX 2070. BTW I had the same PSU as you and it ran the 2070 faultlessly for years. I upgraded my PSU to an ASUS ROG Thor 850w Platinum when fitting the card so not so sure about the power supply comments?? Mine only draws about 420w max when gaming!!

I have found as a work around that running Afterburner and setting the power limit and temp limits a few percent below the default my card runs fine. I have posted a thread asking why this may be.

Reactions: Udyr
Jul 27, 2021
Hi, I am having the same issues with a RTX 2080ti OC I upgraded to from a RTX 2070. BTW I had the same PSU as you and it ran the 2070 faultlessly for years. I upgraded my PSU to an ASUS ROG Thor 850w Platinum when fitting the card so not so sure about the power supply comments?? Mine only draws about 420w max when gaming!!

I have found as a work around that running Afterburner and setting the power limit and temp limits a few percent below the default my card runs fine. I have posted a thread asking why this may be.

That's exactly what I did as well, limiting the power to 80% in MSI Afterburner made it run fine

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
the card works but dose not work under load I had this same problem. the amps on the 12 volt rail are insufficient.

look at the sticker on your power supply and see how many amps are on the 12v rail if below 60-80 amps I would suggest to get a higher amp rated power supply