Alphabet Is The New Umbrella Company For Google And Other Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I don't see the point personally. They already had all these things separated anyway, e.g. Google: "Search", "Maps", "Docs" etc. Why the stock would be up 6% in after hours on this news trading is a complete mystery to me. It's not like this will somehow guarantee them making more money now - all they did was change the name of the company ffs. Indication of peak stupidity perhaps?

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I think it makes sense in some areas, especially separating the ISP part into its own business. I'm not sure about the name "Alphabet" though.

G

Paying taxes suck. I don't know how Google does it, but good for them. Me, I get blamed for not paying enough, even though I payed my full rate. And negotiating is hard. I wish I could lawyer up and pay close to 0%. If I could, I could probably afford those lawyers.

royalcrown

Distinguished
All I know is this is bad because UMBRELLA = ZOMBIES ! ZOMG !! WHY ISN"T ANYONE COMMENTING ON THE ZOMBIES ?!?!

Won't SOMEBODY PLEASE think of the children !!

576px-Long_Beach_Comic_amp_Horror_Con_2011_-_Umbrella_Corporation_zombies.jpg

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Paying taxes suck. I don't know how Google does it, but good for them. Me, I get blamed for not paying enough, even though I payed my full rate. And negotiating is hard. I wish I could lawyer up and pay close to 0%. If I could, I could probably afford those lawyers.
I'm not sure about the name "Alphabet" though.

Agreed. It's a little precious, isn't it?

Precious? I think it sounds mildly sinister. I can't hear or read "Alphabet group" and not think of the Alphabet agencies.

At least they didn't call it "Umbrella Corp"

I think this is a very smart move by Google personally. They are all still subdivisions of the Alphabet company - but are their own company at the same time. I'm not exactly sure how that all works out in the law and financially, but I do think this will make Google more money. It's true about projects like the self-driving car. They spend tons of money on it, yet make no money off it as of now. By dividing the company, and by making Google alone its own division in Alphabet, the board of executives and structure can become highly more organized with this division. In the end, it will make more money. You will make a lot more money having 10 or more companies all linked to alphabet, rather than having the name "Google" do all this stuff. Just my 2 cents.

Umbrella structures work well in business.

royalcrown

Distinguished
Do you know how many bad drivers there are ?1 Especially now that the cellphone was invented. Even if a google car occasionally plowed a whole class of children, robot cars would still come out ahead by disconnecting the idiots from the controls.At least till they get hacked...ugh...'nother story.

...Umbrella structures work well in business.

Yup.

When that driver-less Google car plows into a crowd of school children the 'umbrella' will protect the parent company (rolling eyes).

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Nothing more than a financial/legal move turned into a PR stunt. Bet this will really help cook the books and delay inevitable anti-trust lawsuits.

Horrible name.

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Looks like Wall Street is well aware that this is just the usual corporate tricks, and they're all about it. Why else would investors jump onboard when a company is intentionally damaging their name recognition?

alextheblue

Distinguished
Now all the company can be as evil as they want, so long as the project doesn't fall into the search engine part of the company.

Hah! That did give me a good laugh... but frankly they gave that ruse up already. Any of the legit DBE guys are either gone, powerless, or cowed. Or some combination thereof.

royalcrown

Distinguished
Not until they're all killed off when the T virus gets released,

Can't wait till they try to deal with customer support. "no sir, that is not a Google issue, that product is now a separate division called "Mappy" please contact them for support". "Hi, "Mappy" help desk can we help you? Yes, Yes, Sorry about your issue, that system was build by ex Google division that is now "Searchie City", let me give you their support number".

Status
Not open for further replies.