[SOLVED] Alt Button Deselects Window

NeoConstantine

Honorable
Dec 30, 2016
When you press the Alt button, without pressing anything else, it appears to reset whatever window is selected. Whatever you might be clicking on, it is reset, and your selection is ignored. In a web browser, for example, if you have a text box open and press alt, you can't keep typing. If you press space, you open the menu, and have to close it. What causes this, and how can I fix it?

Solution
Have you tried it on another operating system? Reason I ask is it might not be windows, it might relate to the keyboard itself. I know you can get away with ctrl alt del without it wiping the ctrl action as that is built into standard of keyboards. Hard wired in fact.

Alt may be stealing focus (which is same as deslecting the window). AND as this shows, its not just windows - https://askubuntu.com/questions/988018/on-17-10-the-left-alt-key-steals-focus-how-can-i-stop-it

Alt acts like a shift key, as a modifier. If you press it, windows selects the upper menu of the app and may not be where you expect it to be

When a user presses the Alt key by itself on Microsoft Windows, that moves keyboard focus to the menu bar of...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you tried it on another operating system? Reason I ask is it might not be windows, it might relate to the keyboard itself. I know you can get away with ctrl alt del without it wiping the ctrl action as that is built into standard of keyboards. Hard wired in fact.

Alt may be stealing focus (which is same as deslecting the window). AND as this shows, its not just windows - https://askubuntu.com/questions/988018/on-17-10-the-left-alt-key-steals-focus-how-can-i-stop-it

Alt acts like a shift key, as a modifier. If you press it, windows selects the upper menu of the app and may not be where you expect it to be

When a user presses the Alt key by itself on Microsoft Windows, that moves keyboard focus to the menu bar of the application having keyboard focus, and the key is not delivered to the application. In that state, another press of the Alt key will be delivered to the application.

Wiki link

Solution