[SOLVED] Alt Ctrl Del to Boot up?

Mar 21, 2023
So I have no idea where to put this question, and need some help badly, I have an aorus z390 ultra motherboard, I just installed a new a Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB NVMe M.2, as my primary - and I also added 64 gigs of ripjaws v ram.

Now my computer won’t restart without me hitting alt ctrl del on the keyboard - then the pc seems to work perfectly fine? I’m clueless. Shut down seems to work fine.

I tried formatting with a fresh install for the hell of it, but no luck. Any help would be amazing.

Steps:
Hit power button
Lights turn on
Computer sits there
Monitors stay in rest mode
Hit - alt ctrl delete
Computer comes alive.
Seems to work fine.

Last edited:
Solution
You still did not answer the other questions I asked.

What drive is the Windows OS installed on, the 970 EVO Plus or a different drive?

Is the drive that Windows was installed on previously still attached to the motherboard? If so, disconnect that drive and see if it will still boot into Windows and if you still have the same problem.

Also, in spite of the fact, and in some cases, specifically BECAUSE of it, that you updated the BIOS, it is OFTEN necessary to do a HARD reset of the BIOS as follows. I would disconnect ALL drives except the one that Windows is installed on (But only after testing whether that drive still boots to Windows with all other drives disconnected. And by disconnected, I mean from power and data...
What drive is the Windows OS installed on, the 970 EVO Plus or a different drive?

Is the drive that Windows was installed on previously still attached to the motherboard? If so, disconnect that drive and see if it will still boot into Windows and if you still have the same problem.

Knowing your FULL hardware specifications including exact model numbers for all attached hardware would be very helpful as well. Please include EXACT power supply model number and approximately how long that has been in service/use with this and/or any previous systems.

Also, what is the currently installed motherboard BIOS version?

If you are able to get into Windows, I would HIGHLY recommend disabling hibernation as follows below, as hibernation and hybrid sleep are OFTEN the source of many problems very similar or exactly the same as yours. This will not affect normal sleep modes, only deep hibernation and the hybrid sleep mode, which on many desktop systems running Windows 8.1, 10 or 11 does not work properly and never has, anyhow.

To disable Hibernation:

The first step is to run the command prompt as administrator. In Windows 10, you can do this by right clicking on the start menu and clicking "Command Prompt (Admin)"
Type in "powercfg.exe /h off" without the quotes and press enter. If you typed it in correctly, the cursor will simply start at a new line asking for new input
Now just exit out of command prompt and restart the system.

Mar 21, 2023
Thanks for the quick reply, I tried disabling hibernation did not work, I updated to the latest BIOS right before posting on here as a test to see if it fixed it. I also disconnected all other hard drives and still have the issue. Ill post current specs on my spec below

PSU
Brand‎Seasonic
Series‎FOCUS Plus 850 Gold
Item model number‎SSR-850FX
MOBO
Brand‎Gigabyte
Item model number‎Z390 AORUS ULTRA
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) CL18-22-22-42 1.35V Dual Channel Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-64GVK
Item model numberF4-3600C18D-64GVK
COOLER
Brand‎Be quiet!
Item model number‎BK021
CPU
Brand‎Intel
Series‎I9-9900KF
Item model number‎BX80684I99900KF
SSD
Brand‎SAMSUNG
Series‎Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series - 2TB PCIe NVMe
Item model number‎MZ-V7S2T0B/AM

GRAPHICS CARD : GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming OC 10G

I also have 3 - 144hz monitors and a GOXLR, Hyper X Alloy keyboard, and G wireless Pro Mouse.

I have been using everything for about 2 years besides the new Gskill ram and 970 Evo.

You still did not answer the other questions I asked.

Also, in spite of the fact, and in some cases, specifically BECAUSE of it, that you updated the BIOS, it is OFTEN necessary to do a HARD reset of the BIOS as follows. I would disconnect ALL drives except the one that Windows is installed on (But only after testing whether that drive still boots to Windows with all other drives disconnected. And by disconnected, I mean from power and data cables or removed from their M.2 slots) This is because it is not uncommon, in fact, it is VERY common, for some configuration settings to remain and refuse to be changed, despite having changed hardware and despite having done a standard CMOS reset or updating the BIOS. I've already had three threads here today where the swore they had "tried everything" and a hard BIOS reset resolved their issues with new memory, new graphics card and can't remember what the hardware change was on the other one.

Follow these steps EXACTLY as outlined. Don't skip any or change them thinking it won't matter. It does. And using the CMOS reset pins or button is not the same process as what's outlined here, nor is simply ONLY removing the CMOS battery alone.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the BIOS to fully reset and force recreation of the hardware tables.

Solution
Mar 21, 2023
Windows is installed on the 970 evo - was previously on my 870 ssd, I disconnected the wires from the mobo before installing a fresh windows and still had the problem. And no it’s not attached currently.

Also Thank you I will try this tomorrow morning, I should note I just noticed when my computer gets stuck on restarting or booting up, I get the

AE error on my motherboard

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023
Followed all the steps exactly, had issues on the very first boot, starting up seemed to freeze and then second boot worked and I tried restarting and got the alt ctrl del issue and then after that no more problems! Restarted about 10 times and all seems to be well! I will update if I have any issues.

Very much appreciate all your help and time, you have no idea! Thank you so much!

Then you have a much more serious underlying issue.

I would start with making sure the PSU comes on at all.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixcWCrYpw3Y

And if it does, move on to manually testing it.

If the PSU tests ok then I'd disconnect every component from the motherboard except one stick of memory, the CPU and the CPU cooler and see if it will post.

The first thing you might want to do though is flip the switch to the off position on the back of the power supply, unplug it from the wall, remove the graphics card entirely from the motherboard, plug the PSU back into the wall, flip the PSU switch back on and see if it tries to at least power up now. Because, if some component has a short it may have triggered the PSU internal protections and needs to be reset and the offending device removed. You might have to go through that process of resetting protections between removing components until you figure it out or like I said, start with bare minimum and if it powers on, add components back in until you figure out which component is causing the problem.

It might very well also simply be a bad motherboard.

Reactions: randyh121