Question Alt Tabbing Frequently On A Full Screen Game Can Cause MEMORY MANGEMENT BSOD?

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
Hi all,

I have the Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53 and was playing the Binding Of Isaac Repentance.

I search the wiki for items so I know what they do, so I frequently alt tab between the game and Microsoft edge to search up things. During this time the game would freeze at random points, until it froze completely and gave me the MEMORY MANAGEMENT BSOD.

For now I've only done this by making the game windowed and then looking up things in case this was the problem, no lock up yet but I suspect it might happen again. I likely have a bad HDD but I haven't had this issue on other games since I don't alt + tab frequently.

Does anyone know if alt tabbing frequently on a fullscreen game can cause BSOD?

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
Before anything else, detailed event viewer output of your BSOD might be useful here.

In any case, get your hard drive sorted out first so it's not gonna lose all your data, if that's really on its way out.
Problem is BSOD is at 0% when it restarts and gives "no boot" and doesn't actually give a report since it failed. I've done many many extensive scans of my HDD and it shows no bad sectors whatsoever, but I still likely have a bad HDD.

I had these BSOD stop after I did a chkdsk c:/r and clean install of windows, but this only happened when I was playing a certain game when alt tabbing, hence why I am specifically asking about it.

Sep 25, 2021
I had same issue as you, my laptop used to crash with "whea uncorrectable error" whenever I was gaming and the crash screen would go away without completing within a second or two followed by no boot drive found for next few mins, also didn't get a report of the bsod either. My SSD health was at 90% so it was likely being faulty and disabling it and installing windows on my hard drive fixed the issue.