Alternative for 850 evo? recommend pls

NeonShadow

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
i was planning to buy 250gb samsung 850 evo ssd but kinda want to save some money for other upgrades... can someone recommend me an alternative for 850 evo? im actually planning to buy 120gb ssd's now instead of 250gb ssd's cause im only using it for my Os.. i want to save money but also buying the best perforamance for a cheap price...? maybe a budget of 50$(i can increase my budget a little if additional cash is worth it) thanks

Solution
Look at the Crucial MX300. I've gotten those for quite a few of my friends and they've all been happy. I'm currently using one as my boot drive too.
The 750 EVO is also good.
Intel 540s series should be ok too.
Samsung and Intel make their own nand chips and controllers so they can control quality better .

I would not buy a 120gb ssd for a C drive. Many things want to go there and it will fill up quickly.
That will lose update performance and endurance.
Better to wait and buy at least 240gb up front.

bwinzey

Respectable
Jun 26, 2016
Buying 2 120gb ssd's and doing a RAID might not increase performance much, but it will put 1/2 of the throughput through each memory controller, so they should last twice as long as 1x 240gb. Some people scream "THEYRE LESS RELIABLE BECAUSE YOU HAVE 2 NOW", but this doesn't really apply to SSD's. This applies to HDD's because HDD's may seem fine one moment and then randomly die forever. SSD's don't do this. SSD's break after a certain amount of data throughput has been reached or if they're defective. as long as they're not trash SSD's, they should give more throughput and last longer than a cheap 240gb one.

NeonShadow

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016

i see.. is Kingston SSDNow V300 240gb good?