Question Alternative to Outlook 2007?

golem

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I've run Outlook 2007 (32) in a Windows 7/10 (64) environment for the past 15 years and, prepping for a clean install, I was hoping to change to something similar and with the ability to migrate current data (PST, etc.). I always assumed OpenOffice would be the way to go when the time came but just noticed it doesn't have a mail app. I'm fine with using 365 basic for other office tasks but prefer/require an offline mail app for domain boxes. Sure would be nice if Outlook could be had as an app outside of Office.

It's time to update the sometimes finicky 32 on 64 Outlook. Figure someone here would have practical experience with this one.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Mozilla Thunderbird is a good alternative, with some caveats.

What’s the server type of the email account you’re using? If it’s IMAP then you don’t need to import the PST… just log in with Thunderbird and go. If it’s Exchange Server then Thunderbird won’t work without a lot of fiddling, if at all (last time I checked anyway).

If it's POP3, or you have a lot of offline messages in a local folder: then you can try this for importing. Copy your offline Outlook messages to a temporary IMAP-type of account (e.g. gmail, outlook.com, etc) then sync this to Mozilla Thunderbird. Then drag the messages you wish to archive into your desired offline folder.

(Edited post for clarity)

Last edited:
Reactions: golem

golem

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Appreciate the link and replies Grobe and NedSmelly!

I'm currently set up with a mixture of a couple IMAP and majority POP3 with the latter set to remove messages from server side upon downloading. I tend to keep more than necessary of my many years old correspondence hence a nearly 4GB total in PST/PSTarchive. Would definitely require a clean-out (and should) before any contemplation of uploading to an IMAP mail repository. Alternatively, if Thunderbird is chosen, I see there are PST to MBOX conversion tools available. It seems the only caveat is I'd first have to install an earlier version of Thunderbird for its import wizard to work. After which an upgrade can be performed.

As eluded -- Thunderbird is looking to be the best choice for me. Think I'll do a temporary adjustment to Outlook and set the POP3 to leave copies of messages on the server and install Thunderbird along side so that migration and tweaks can be performed. I don't recall if rules and accounts (RWZ, etc) are contained in the PST files of 2007. I know they changed it up over the years and around that time, anyone know for sure?

golem

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Quick update...

Could have used a conversion utility but decided to simply install v31.8 Thunderbird which did import directly from Outlook. This was mail and contacts only. I know it doesn't import rules and could not find a way to import accounts. Not a biggie as I was intending to adjust ports, passes, formats, and credentials to be a little more current. It seems I've progressed as far as possible migration wise so I'll update to latest version (115.7.0 I believe). Thanks again for the suggestions!

Reactions: NedSmelly