[SOLVED] Alternative to Razer Synapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitelion1284

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013
Razer Synapse is the most absurd piece of bloatware I've tripped over in a very long time. It has > 1 GB footprint on my hard drive (wtf?!). It's buggy, slow, needs to be started multiple times every single boot up, demands an absurd amount of system resources, updates constantly (taking over the computer to do so) and for what? What on earth could explain the need for that much resources to run mouse drivers? I'm just done. So if anyone knows of an alternative set of drivers and control software for the Razer Atheris I'm all ears.

Solution
I can't see much about it since 2015 so it might not work well with win 10.

I originally had both razer mouse/keyboard, swapped to a Steelseries mouse 8 years ago and then got a logitech keyboard about 4 years ago and never looked back. Synapse is bad enough to make buying a new mouse worthwhile to avoid it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't see much about it since 2015 so it might not work well with win 10.

I originally had both razer mouse/keyboard, swapped to a Steelseries mouse 8 years ago and then got a logitech keyboard about 4 years ago and never looked back. Synapse is bad enough to make buying a new mouse worthwhile to avoid it.

Reactions: James_369
Solution

whitelion1284

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013
Copy that. I'm a win 7 user but aye, Synapse is disgusting. It is bloated, slow, unstable, cumbersome and in the damn way; one of the most egregious examples of coding laziness I've come across since... well, since an android phone.

Not sure what synapse your using, running windows 10 ver 1903 and synapse uses 9.72MB harddrive space and 13MB of ram. The only thing i use it for was to set the color on my keyboard and mouse, after that it just sits in the system tray and does nothing.

my work computer, and older socket 1366 running windows 10 ver 1903 with keyboard and mouse
ProgramData folder is 266mb
Program Files (x86) is 9.75mb

my home computer (in sig) runs a Saitek Cyborg keyboard and Logitech G903 mouse and G powerplay mousepad

ProgramData could not find a folder
Program Files (x86) 333mb

Reinstall your synapse, there is something wrong if you have to reload it multiple times to get it to work. mine loads once and is fine.

whitelion1284

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013
No. I'd rather get rid of it.
Seriously, what the bloody blue hell does a MOUSE DRIVER need with hundreds of megabytes of hard drive space as well as requiring not just updates (why does a driver need updates?) but frequent updates so large that they choke my bandwidth to the point where I can't even watch videos while it's downloading? The software is bloated, glitchy, and made with delusions of grandeur. It is not so important to require the resources it demands and, since I can't get a straight answer from the company regarding WHY it needs so much of my machine the short answer is: it's gone and I will NEVER purchase another Razer product.

Jan 22, 2021
I just discovered this thread and couldn't help but realize how much of a stupid meme this is, obviously i believe your just biased to not wanting to use razor bc you had one bad experience with it, I agree with Faalin, I have no idea what synapse your using but even in 2021 it uses only about 20mb of space, and while having about 7 razer devices connected i've never noticed anything out of the ordinary. I've been a razer user since 2011 and have only ever had good experiences with them. They are fast, easy to use, reliant and a really simple and great software. Also if anyone ever tells you its bloatware idk how 20mb is bloatware

Feb 1, 2021
View: https://imgur.com/7RkUbXr

Above is a link to a picture of the razer processes running with Synapse alone - in total that is using 250 MEG OF RAM - TO MAKE MY KEYBOARD TURN PURPLE.
It is absurd bloatware - and when I have it on, my keyboard sometimes stops working and I need to restart my whole pc.

For comparison - the Apollo 11 mission had 0.004096 Megs of RAM.
In 2021, to light up my keyboard purple, I need to dedicate 61000 times as much RAM as it took to go to the moon.

Reactions: bechill
Status
Not open for further replies.