Alternative to VPN for playing blocked games in university campus because of packet loss and unstable ping

pysneck

Reputable
May 3, 2015
My dormitory uses universities' internet which blocks online game servers like CS:GO, CS 1.6 or even extremely unknown ones like MTA:SA.

Is there another way other than using VPN which has unstable ping and packet loss which MTA:SA doesn't allow and kick me in the first place?

Can they tell if I'm playing a game or not on each alternative (not so important but just asking)?

Edit: I think they blocked torrents as well... I can't download Arch Linux to learn it for example.

Why do you think vpn has unstable ping and packet loss. I actually used vpn to improve my ping. It does not always work that way but my ISP had a problem in their network connecting the ISP the game company uses but not to the ISP the VPN company used. VPN does add over head but it should not have loss or random delay.

Still it makes no difference if they have blocked all the more common vpn providers.

Most games there is no other option except vpn because they use a non standard data communication that the university blocks. I suspect games that run totally within a web browser work fine. A lot of the vpn appears to be web traffic which is why it works but the list of vpn providers is not secret so they block that list.

pysneck

Reputable
May 3, 2015

Well, I use a wireless network which could actually be the reason for packet loss, can it also cause the unstable ping itself? I was suspecting the free VPN services I've been using. I will post the status after I will be bale to connect via ethernet anyway. Might take up to a week.

pysneck

Reputable
May 3, 2015

I think I found couple ISPs providing that, the speeds are only 4 mbits or 8 mbits over here anyway so I don't think it's worth the money. I would like to see if I can fix the current dormitory network.