[SOLVED] Alternative way to Multi-Factor Authenticate?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I’m thinking of the best way to 2FA into any account where it is required, just in case my may 2FA device (my phone) is disabled or stolen or something similar.

I thought I may create a free google or Lastpass account saving all the Lastpass grids, Google backup codes etc for all my online accounts. This account would have Multi-factor disabled and I’d use a different personal name and email account so that it may not be associated with my usual Lastpass account (or similar Multi-factor app).

I’d welcome any opinions and recommendations, is there a better method than this?

Solution
This is how I do it:

Whenever 2FA is available I turn it on because it increases the security. I choose app option instead of SMS or email, because app is better than those two. For some important websites I use email too, just in case something goes wrong. Once something happened and website required only app token which I didn't have anymore and I couldn't login, so if there's some important websites I keep enabled email verification too, but on most websites I enable only app authenticator. For app authenticator I use Google app, but there are other alternatives if you want to use. All my passwords are saved in Bitwarden which is alternative of LastPass and actually better one. I also save passwords in my Google Chrome, but I make...

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
This is how I do it:

Whenever 2FA is available I turn it on because it increases the security. I choose app option instead of SMS or email, because app is better than those two. For some important websites I use email too, just in case something goes wrong. Once something happened and website required only app token which I didn't have anymore and I couldn't login, so if there's some important websites I keep enabled email verification too, but on most websites I enable only app authenticator. For app authenticator I use Google app, but there are other alternatives if you want to use. All my passwords are saved in Bitwarden which is alternative of LastPass and actually better one. I also save passwords in my Google Chrome, but I make sure I save them in Bitwarden too. Now most important thing - where do I keep masterpassword of my Bitwarden and backup codes? I have written down the master password of bitwarden on the actual paper that I keep in my drawer and additionally I keep it in my OneNote with backup codes and that section of OneNote (which is Microsoft app) is protected by password which I remember in my mind, but in case I forget it, I can always look in my paper note where I have master password of Bitwarden where I have all the passwords there. That's how I do it.

One more thing about credit cards now: I have two credit cards. One is my main credit card where I keep my money and where I get salary. This credit card isn't connected or attached to any websites and I have another card from a different bank which is attached to online websites. I usually keep a low amount of money there, so in case something happens and someone tries to steal a money from it, they can't take big amount. When I need to refill that card with money, I can use it's mobile bank app where my another card is attached and transferring money between two cards is easy in that app. That apps is quite secure and by the way this bank is completely digital bank. The reason why I'm doing this with credit cards is because credit cards still aren't very secured online. No matter what, there's a chance that someone can steal money from your credit card if it's attached to some various websites. This happened to me before. They didn't steal the money, but they tried. I woke up once and saw the SMS message from my bank that some website tried to charge my card twice but didn't succeed. It's scary. So, I came to conclusion that it's better to have 2 cards and do not attach your main card to any website and use another card for that and keep a low amount of money there.

Solution