Question Always have to go through BIOS first

Mar 20, 2021
Gigabyte Z390 Pro WiFi Rev 1.0, F12k BIOS
i9-9900K CPU
Samsung 2.5" SSD as C main drive
Sabrent M.2 NVME as secondary drive (mostly repository for large map files and related project work

Since installing the M.2, I cannot start/restart without going though BIOS. I hit F10 and Enter, and it always opens, but it's a pair of steps I would like to avoid.

I had the same problem pre-M.2 drive when there was an external hard drive connected by USB, so the mobo/BIOS just seem to loose it when there's another drive attached.

Have you had this problem with this mobo, and if so, could you please tell me if there's anything I can do in my BIOS settings to get past this? I tried removing the M.2 as a boot candidate, but that seems to have made no difference.

Thank you.

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following link provide the applicable User Manual for your motherboard?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z390-aorus-pro_wifi_1001_190708_e.pdf

(Verify that I found the applicable/correct manual.)

My first thought was RAM installation, Some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM module be placed in a specific RAM slot.

That does not appear to the case for your build. Do check to be sure.

Second thought SATA port assignments:

Refer to physically numbered Pages 19 & 20 and verify that you adhered to the installation notices.

====

Failing the above, double check all connections, cards, connectors, etc.. to ensure that they are installed and configured per the User Manual.

Hopefully just some error of omission or commission in the build.

Mar 20, 2021
@Ralston18
Thank you for your message.

• I'm quite sure that you found the correct user manual, I've got a copy.
  • I think you are correct that the 1st RAM module has to be in specific slot issue does not apply. Anyway, I did not have this problem before installing the M.2, and when it happened before (before I'd installed the M.2), it was solved by disconnecting the USB external drive before starting, so I'm pretty sure I have is a boot drive selection problem in BIOS cause by the presence of an additional drive.
  • Yep, I checked the SATA port conflict item before installation and have no conflicts there. the M.2 speed test I ran shows 3GB/sec +, which is reportedly not possible with a SATA conflict.

Any suggested BIOS settingsI can try, ideally using terminology that agrees with that used for the Gigabyte Aorus line?