[SOLVED] Always Power Supply Issue when PC shuts down randomly?

ctgunner

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2014
I recently built a new PC and everything was going really well and then all of a sudden it just started shutting down completely.

It's happened twice recently:
  1. Right after launching Overwatch (not previously under any sort of load)
  2. During a game with 2 Chrome windows open, one on 2nd monitor, one in background playing a video
Thermals look really good, CPU isn't being taxed... I really have no idea where to start.

Is it always a bad power supply as the culprit? Could it be the BIOS needs updated, is that ever the cause?

System:
5600x Ryzen (not overclocked)
Gigabyte B550m Pro-P
Nvidia 3080 EVGA FTW3
3600 C16 Gskill Neo 2x16GB
Sabrent 1TB m.2
750w Platinum Seasonic Powersupply

Much appreciated.

...now...

Now? How about always? I don't think the problem everyone was pinning on OCP is OCP at all. I think it's noise on the sense wire. As one of my engineers said, "Seasonic does something funky with their sense circuit".

I wish Tom's forums had inline image support. I could show you an example.

I haven't tried a Focus. Just a Prime. I should see if I have a Focus lying around.

Last edited:
Now? How about always? I don't think the problem everyone was pinning on OCP is OCP at all. I think it's noise on the sense wire. As one of my engineers said, "Seasonic does something funky with their sense circuit".

I wish Tom's forums had inline image support. I could show you an example.

I haven't tried a Focus. Just a Prime. I should see if I have a Focus lying around.
Ahh... So you're talking about the Prime. I have heard issues on that as well, but I didn't know if it's related to the 12 V Sense. It's not as pronounced as the Focus issue, though. I have always assumed that it was the OCP.

I thought you were talking about the Focus and you have found something new, hence "now".

Also, does it happen on Corsair AX Titanium line up?

Last edited:
Ahh... So you're talking about the Prime. I have heard issues on that as well, but I didn't know if it's related to the 12 V Sense. It's not as pronounced as the Focus issue, though. I have always assumed that it was the OCP.

I thought you were talking about the Focus and you have found something new, hence "now".

Also, does it happen on Corsair AX Titanium line up?

Yes. That's why I was testing it.

I didn't test the Focus because there's no Corsair PSUs that use that platform. I'm in it for me. :D

Reactions: refillable

TRENDING THREADS