Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Setup:
Intel I7-4790k
Pny 8gbs of ddr3
Corshair Cm850x
Radeon r9 290 sapphire tri-x orange edition
Windows 8.1

I've just recently decided to upgrade my cpu mobo and was wondering if now my gpu is lacking I have dual 1920x1080 screens and I play games such as dayz six siege lots of csgo and some triple A titles such as far cry and fallout so my question is if it's worth or necessary upgrading to play these games at high with more than decent frame rates and if I did upgrade could someone give me the nvidia equivalent as amd has not been very reliable in past builds I would like to keep the upgrade of the gpu down to a 100 dollars so that I don't over extend with the other components I've recently

Solution
@Christopher, No worries. EVGA sells their factory recertified cards under the name "b-stock". Many times they are simply open box GPU's. I know for a fact that they are that price range, because I've purchased them for friends and family. But be advised that they do not come with a free game comb for Rising of the Tomb Raider, which the new cards currently do. Personally I would buy the b-stock card, and then get the Tomb Raider game via G2A, when it's a low price.
* sell the R9 290 on Ebay.
* buy GTX 970 on EVGA b-stock site OR buy new GTX 980 Ti.

That's what I would do.

*** sell ***

Ebay sold price: $182 - $325 (my query wasn't very precise)
Ebay query: r9 290 sapphire tri-x -8gb
query conditions: sold, used
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=r9%20290%20sapphire%20tri-x&_dcat=27386&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=4&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

*** buy ***

EVGA b-stock (factory recertified) GTX 970's are out of stock, but should be restocked within the next 5-7 days.
Price usually is between $239 - $259.
http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=8&family=GeForce+900+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+970

If you buy new, any GTX 980 Ti is totally fine. I personally like EVGA and MSI, but I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever brand you purchase.

^ Disregard the part about the 980 Ti. Somehow I complete forgot that you'd like to keep the costs to no more than $100. You could totally do the GTX 970 though, if you're not satisfied with the 290. Surprising because it's supposed to be a great card. By the way, do you game on both 1080p monitors?

jragonsoul

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009

Yeah my thought too, it's a great card but if you want to go green wait for the next cards. If you feel like giving AMD another shot then wait for Polaris.

Christopher_32

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Yeah I don't think I'll go with amd again and is the 970 really that viable as high settings on 1080? And no I use one to game and while I game I have team speak skype and other applications on the other hence why I have the i7 and as far as the pascal for nvidia if they do come out later this year what General price range would you expect because based on what I've read they could price similar to the 980ti or Titan

garrett1986

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
keep your hardware its more then good enough.

save money wait for next gen Nvidia or for fury's to drop in price.

a GTX 970 will not give you noticeable gains over a 290 and in the end would hurt your long term prospects because of its 3.5gb video memory limit.

I have a R9 390 and many modern games can blow past the 3.5gb limit on ultra settings. really don't buy a GTX 970 they are not worth it at this point.

@Christopher, No worries. EVGA sells their factory recertified cards under the name "b-stock". Many times they are simply open box GPU's. I know for a fact that they are that price range, because I've purchased them for friends and family. But be advised that they do not come with a free game comb for Rising of the Tomb Raider, which the new cards currently do. Personally I would buy the b-stock card, and then get the Tomb Raider game via G2A, when it's a low price.

Solution