[SOLVED] Am I killing my SSD?

adrian0883

Prominent
Nov 18, 2019
I installed a Western Digital 500GB SSD into my Lenovo laptop and I'm wondering does using programs like CCleaner and System Ninja to remove junk kill the drive. Do I need to defrag of wash free space?

Solution
To add onto @SkyNetRising, you don't gain any beneficial speed from doing any of that. Cleaning up junk is more for your convenience in this case. Defragging and washing free space will definitely kill it faster since it causes more writes on it that are unnecessary. Those are only meant to help speed up conventional Hard disk drives. What you should do is install WD's SSD dashboard (I recommend it) and use the TRIM feature every week or so. That's like the only maintenance you can do on your SSD.
To add onto @SkyNetRising, you don't gain any beneficial speed from doing any of that. Cleaning up junk is more for your convenience in this case. Defragging and washing free space will definitely kill it faster since it causes more writes on it that are unnecessary. Those are only meant to help speed up conventional Hard disk drives. What you should do is install WD's SSD dashboard (I recommend it) and use the TRIM feature every week or so. That's like the only maintenance you can do on your SSD.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I installed a Western Digital 500GB SSD into my Lenovo laptop and I'm wondering does using programs like CCleaner and System Ninja to remove junk kill the drive. Do I need to defrag of wash free space?
Don't defrag. It serves no purpose on an SSD, and just adds write cycles.

But, those other things you're doing...Why?

Don't install useless crap, and you won't have to obsess over 'removing' things.

"System Ninja" ? Don't.

Ccleaner just cleans out a few areas......sets them back to zero.
If you don't clean these areas they will just keep getting bigger.....using more ssd space.

Defrag....no
If using w10 you can set up an optimize....retrim....on a schedule.

Wash free space....no.

System ninja.....unknown.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The majority of problems get hidden as part of the local user AppData directories which are hidden unless you un-hide hidden folders. All sorts of junk and questionable things can hide in there, especially if you don't know to look there in the first place.

Knowing that the system registry exists is helpful, but as a user you can cause a lot of harm by editing things you do not understand. Trusting software like CCleaner to 'just magically clean the registry up for you' can also cause issues if the software (and you) don't know the difference between good registry entries and stuff which can or should get purged.