[SOLVED] Am i planning unnecessary upgrades? Temps / Specs listed ... i7 to i9 ~ fans to AIO

May 30, 2019
hey th! i am about to pull the trigger on some upgrades ... but i just want to make sure before i do that i am not throwing money away for no reason.

My build as constructed now: ( I am strictly playing games at 1080p on a Alienware 240hz monitor. )

Fractal Define R4
Asus Z97-A
i7 4790k ( Not overclocked at all )
EVO 212 with Noctua Fan
Asus ROG RTX 2070
Corsair vengence 16 Gigs of ram
EVGA 750 PS
Intake Fans: 2 Front 140mm, 1 120mm under and 1 120mm side
Exhaust: 140mm Rear, and a 140mm and 120mm in the top.

Looking to upgrade to:
i9 9900k
Asus Z390
Corsair H100i to replace the EVO and Front Intakes
Changing the side panel thats has the 120mm fan to a tempered glass one

I played COD multiplayer for four hours straight on the default video settings minus the film grain and motion blur and seemed to averaging around 130~150 FPS. I played with HW Monitor running the backround and these were the max temps .... CPU - "package" - 70c GPU - 55c

I play CSGO (mainly) , BF5, COD and Forza . Are my temps good enough to keep the fans? Would the AIO be better then what i have now? Is it even worth upgrading with the FPS/TEMPS i am seeing now?

Really appreciate any advice or comments / concerns ...
-dj

Solution
Well, 240 FPS is a tall order and you usually need the fastest processor available to reach it in later titles.

If you are satisified with 130-150 FPS in COD then I see no reason to upgrade. You could add 300Mhz or so to the CPU with little effort, that might gain you a few percent. Maybe overclock the memory a little, or just tighten timings. But you would have to look at your GPU load vs the CPU load to see if replacing the CPU will do anything. On CS:GO that is known to be the common case, but the better the graphics the more it falls to your GPU.

Take a look at some benchmarks with the RTX 2070, if you aren't seeing the FPS they are in the titles you play, then it is likely to be the CPU.

Water cooler is advisable for the 9900k...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, 240 FPS is a tall order and you usually need the fastest processor available to reach it in later titles.

If you are satisified with 130-150 FPS in COD then I see no reason to upgrade. You could add 300Mhz or so to the CPU with little effort, that might gain you a few percent. Maybe overclock the memory a little, or just tighten timings. But you would have to look at your GPU load vs the CPU load to see if replacing the CPU will do anything. On CS:GO that is known to be the common case, but the better the graphics the more it falls to your GPU.

Take a look at some benchmarks with the RTX 2070, if you aren't seeing the FPS they are in the titles you play, then it is likely to be the CPU.

Water cooler is advisable for the 9900k (they pretty much run twice as hot no matter what Intel's marketing believes), so not a bad choice. H100i is known to be a little loud for the performance. You could look at the big 140mm+ air coolers from Noctua, be quiet!, or Phanteks. They are comparable to typical 240mm AIO, usually get the same job done a little quieter. If you want best possible results look at the more expensive expandable AIOs, they will typically be Copper/Brass instead of Aluminum radiators, and have better pumps. (Always full custom water cooling)

I don't see why you need to give up any of the fans. Yes, the h100i will outperform an Evo 212.
Plenty for a stock voltage quad core, not so much a bleeding edge 8-core that runs up to 5Ghz stock.

Your current temperatures are perfectly normal. GPU is a little low, which says the CPU is holding you back, but I'm not sure which COD you are talking about specifically. You might be able to crank up the graphics settings and get the same FPS if the CPU is holding you back.

Solution
May 30, 2019

Water cooler is advisable for the 9900k (they pretty much run twice as hot no matter what Intel's marketing believes), so not a bad choice. H100i is known to be a little loud for the performance. You could look at the big 140mm+ air coolers from Noctua, be quiet!, or Phanteks. They are comparable to typical 240mm AIO, usually get the same job done a little quieter. If you want best possible results look at the more expensive expandable AIOs, they will typically be Copper/Brass instead of Aluminum radiators, and have better pumps. (Always full custom water cooling)

I don't see why you need to give up any of the fans. Yes, the h100i will outperform an Evo 212.
Plenty for a stock voltage quad core, not so much a bleeding edge 8-core that runs up to 5Ghz stock.

Your current temperatures are perfectly normal. GPU is a little low, which says the CPU is holding you back, but I'm not sure which COD you are talking about specifically. You might be able to crank up the graphics settings and get the same FPS if the CPU is holding you back.

First off, thank you for the full and informative answer! I should have been more clear, i bought the 240hz monitor for CSGO only since i get about 285/300 fps in that game. I wasn't going for 240 fps in the other games. I am not so worried about the noise of the PC since i wear my headset all the time, and i have a cherry blue keyboard :D. I was playing the new Modern Warfare . I am starting to consider leaving the i7, and just doing an AIO on it at this point. I am also going to remove some hard drive trays, clean up the wiring and move the SSD's behind the mobo . That should free up some cooler air as well. 150 fps on COD feels great, and i really cant fathom that i need anymore at this point.

With your currents temps, you'd just be spending money to spend money. Yes obviously you would run slightly cooler, but for the price, it's not really worth it. Unless you plan on a heavy overclock.

Cleaning up the drive cage and wiring, will be just that, clean up. Very doubtful you'd see an actual benefit other than a cleaner look. If you can find it linus did a video on airflow vs wiring. The results were a little surprising to me, but unless you're filling your case with sand, not beneficial.

What is your drive situation like? If you want better performance and have the money, I would be buying an SSD that is big enough for everything. As Gmoney06ss noted, you upgrade is almost "spending money to spend money" as the FPS numbers could go up a "tad" but with the rate you are at now, I don't believe it would be a noticeable amount.