[SOLVED] Am I ready for a 5GHz youtube upload?

danny009

Honorable
Apr 11, 2019
Hello, we own a modem from our ISP which have 5GHz ability and our phone supports 5GHz connections it seems(modem lists two same connections, 2.4 and 5), we plan to upload a few gaming videos to YouTube with this phone. My question is, do I need to do anything else to use 5GHz? like any settings panel from Windows 10? Reason I'm asking this our 5GHz feels slow, same as 2.4, we did not see any difference in speed. Uploaded same file to test over and over again, its feels slow, even YouTube's remaning indicator shows exact same time to left to complete the upload. Wifi indicator on our phone also shows full signal quality, so whats wrong? A quick google search says 2.4 longer range but slow and 5GHz shorter range but faster. Any ideas?

Solution
Hey there,

You are confusing the connection type, with the connection speed, or in this case the speeds your ISP provides on your package.

Whilst most modern routers have both 2.4/5ghz channels, it's the actual speed provided by your ISP that's most relevant, specially for upload speeds.
The 2.4/5ghz are just the connections (wifi) to your router. However, if your ISP speeds are lets say 70md down speed/20mb up speed, regardless of if you use 2.4 or 5ghz connection your upload will still be limited by your 20mbs upload speed.

Yes, internally 2.4ghz gives broader wifi coverage over your home, with limited speeds (depending on where in the house you are), and 5ghz (within what your ISP provides) give higher speeds but a shorter range...
Hey there,

You are confusing the connection type, with the connection speed, or in this case the speeds your ISP provides on your package.

Whilst most modern routers have both 2.4/5ghz channels, it's the actual speed provided by your ISP that's most relevant, specially for upload speeds.
The 2.4/5ghz are just the connections (wifi) to your router. However, if your ISP speeds are lets say 70md down speed/20mb up speed, regardless of if you use 2.4 or 5ghz connection your upload will still be limited by your 20mbs upload speed.

Yes, internally 2.4ghz gives broader wifi coverage over your home, with limited speeds (depending on where in the house you are), and 5ghz (within what your ISP provides) give higher speeds but a shorter range.

For you, the slow uploads are to do with your Internet package. I'd call them to see if you can upgrade packages to have higher speeds.

Last edited:
Solution