Question AM5 Failure To Post/ Boot First Time

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I want to rule stuff out before I rip anything apart again. I just finished putting together an AM5 7950X system with a Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX board. It has some new components like the DDR5 ram, and a new SSD. When it boots for first time, it does 1 long beep and two short beeps. I've read conflicting info on whether it's my ram or GPU at fault. Nothing shows on my monitor- no signal. The GPU was pulled from my previous system, so it was working. My brother also gave me some comment that the new Ryzen 7000s have a really long boot for first time, to set stuff up. I don't think this is that and I can't confirm his info. I did check the cpu pins and they are fine. So what do you recommend I do first? Pull GPU and reseat it?

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
So I tried something first. I connected my monitor from the GPU to the motherboard on-board graphics connection. I get a screen now. It is resetting tpm and going through some new boot ups. Does this mean my GPU is dead or should I change some setting in bios for the GPU?

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
Well it briefly was working that way, till all of a sudden the screen went off again and stayed off. Not sure what its doing now.

And don't all 7000 cpus have graphics capability baked in now?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I can't get the monitor to come back online again. I tried reseating the GPU with no luck. The on-board graphics isn't working now either. Now when I reboot the computer after a hard shutoff, it doesn't beep at all. Maybe my PSU isn't supplying enough power and going into protection mode?? It's a 750 Watt which is borderline. My graphics card is a RTX 3070. Anything I can check now?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
On another computer, download the most recent version of the BIOS and unzip it to a thumb drive. Then rename the binary file to gigabyte.bin

Insert that thumb drive into the marked USB port on the back of the motherboard and then press the Q-Flash button.

The computer should appear to power on and will restart when done.

By the way, try removing the 3070 altogether first (in the event your PSU is struggling with the load).

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I already have the bios file on my USB stick. I just can't rename it now. I couldn't see also which USB slot it should be plugged into for updated. That said I don't know how you can do an update without seeing on the screen what you're doing. It will need to boot for that.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I already have the bios file on my USB stick. I just can't rename it now. I couldn't see also which USB slot it should be plugged into for updated. That said I don't know how you can do an update without seeing on the screen what you're doing. It will need to boot for that.
That is the beauty of the built--in Q-Flash button. The back USB ports are labeled. One of the red ports says BIOS next to it. That is where the USB drive goes.

You should be able to rename a file with your smartphone's file manager app. The steps are easy after renaming the file.

With the PC powered off. Insert the USB drive into the BIOS (red) marked port. Not the small button labeled Q-Flash on the rear panel itself. Press that.

The system will appear to start, but nothing will appear on screen. After successfully installing the update, your system will restart.

Should only take a few minutes , no more than 5. Gigabyte says 2-3, but I would wait a couple minutes more than that.

Reactions: Vic 40 and kurdtnz

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I'm going to take my USB stick with me to another computer and rename it there. Even if I downloaded the file on my smartphone, I have no way of getting that onto a USB stick.

I did remove the rtx 3070, and the system still won't post. Running out of ideas before having to take the system into a computer shop to diagnose.

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
So I renamed the bios file to gigabyte.bin and got it home. Plugged it in and pressed the q flash plus button. The light flashed for a sec. Computer turned on for 1 second and then shut back down. Is this because it didn't find the file? Is the file extension part the .bin or is it the bios file f7a? All I know is it didn't seem to do anything, and not sure why it shut down again so quickly. Does the USB stick have to be completely empty minus the gigabyte.bin file?

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I pushed the button to clear the cmos and tried again. It seemed to do something this time, because the computer stayed on and the light went from flashing to solid. Computer was on for 30 to 60 seconds, then shut down. So after that I tried to boot the computer using the power button. Nothing. It powered on, but no boot. So it seems there is a more serious issue here. Could the cpu be fried for some reason?

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I came to that conclusion too. Maybe both of them. I set up to return both as defective. The motherboard they replace. The cpu, because its out of stock, they will only refund. So im losing out on the sale price I got on it. I'll end up paying more to replace it for the same unit again. When I pulled the cpu, most of the paste I had put on it, seemed to have melted off. The center of the cpu was almost bare metal, and this was where the paste was applied first. So I get the feeling the cpu did overheat. Good thing I can return it as defective.

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
Ok. This is very common issue. I had that headakes when I built my rig and also wanted to rma.
Problem was - everything is wotking exept mouse and keyboard. No display, no bios, no windows.

What I did:
  1. Cleared cmos by putting out of the mobo
  2. Unplug all cables
  3. Leave one stick of ram
  4. Push the case buttons for 30 seconds
  5. Check and plug all cables correctly
  6. Put back cmos

After that I came to windows and I was able to update bios.
I had this issue maybe 3 more times and after that everything is normal.

People from many forums complain with many similar or the same issues, but at the end they just find the solution for this problem.

Keep us updated.