Amazon Fire Phone Now at AT&T, Gets Teardown

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I love the hardware and can appreciate the sheer amount of engineering that went into this phone. People are being a bit to hard on it because it's expensive, and most people assume you cant install android apps on it, but you can, and it's expensive because the hardware is ambitious. this phone basicly has a xbox one Kinect built into a smartphone.

6 camera's, just wow

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
I love the hardware and can appreciate the sheer amount of engineering that went into this phone. People are being a bit to hard on it because it's expensive, and most people assume you cant install android apps on it, but you can, and it's expensive because the hardware is ambitious. this phone basicly has a xbox one Kinect built into a smartphone.

6 camera's, just wow

all i wanted was a sub 300$ phone so i could use android apps on it and take it around as a camera... cant do that when its 600~ off contract
god thing i found a better phone that is at cost and has a bigger display.

Mark Rad

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014
I like the FireFly scanning text feature so I don't have to type (phone numbers web addresses).  Fortunately, I can do this on my iPhone already with a Free App that is very accurate ( VisuCaller).

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
"Gets Teardown" Where's the teardown, all's I seen where just specs of the device and the rest about just talk about amazon and at&t. If the article is appose to be about teardown of the device than I want photos of it actually being taken apart and the internals shown like the battery, screen and motherboard.

"Gets Teardown" Where's the teardown, all's I seen where just specs of the device and the rest about just talk about amazon and at&t. If the article is appose to be about teardown of the device than I want photos of it actually being taken apart and the internals shown like the battery, screen and motherboard.

That's the author being less transparent. You'll notice he linked the iFixIt teardown in the last paragraph.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Oh crap, next time I should pay more attention to links in the article.

That's the author being less transparent. You'll notice he linked the iFixIt teardown in the last paragraph.

mforce2

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
I don't see a point to this phone.
Don't worry, you're not the only one. All Amazon was supposed to do was provide a cheap Android phone for people to buy their crap, err I mean content and services and all that.
That is what they did with the Kindle Fire and it worked well, nothing fancy just a cheap tablet so people could then buy stuff from Amazon and Amazon could make money.
With this phone they suddenly decided they wanted to have something special and go against Iphone, Galaxy, Optimus ... well they're just not Apple or Samsung.

valandis

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
This phone has got some nice features, but its display-resolution is too low for a high-end phone; only HD?! come on we live in 2014!

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
This phone has got some nice features, but its display-resolution is too low for a high-end phone; only HD?! come on we live in 2014!

The phone is 315 ppi, 4.7 inch. Perhaps you do not understanding what resolution means in the real world and how it works?

valandis

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

I completely understand what resolution is, but apparently you don't; my phone (S4) from last year has a 5 inches display and a FullHD resolution of 1080x1920 px which results in a pixel density of about 441 ppi! So I guess you're the one who doesn't understand...

c123456

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

I completely understand what resolution is, but apparently you don't; my phone (S4) from last year has a 5 inches display and a FullHD resolution of 1080x1920 px which results in a pixel density of about 441 ppi! So I guess you're the one who doesn't understand...

A 31" UHD monitor has 150ppi, a 1440p 27" monitor has ~110ppi. Both of these look just fine to almost everyone. Going beyond these has extreme diminishing returns. So for the arguement that it *only* has 315ppi is pretty ridiculous... at that point its just a marketing gimmick... you can't see individual pixels at a usable distance unless you have some sort of super human sight.

There's plenty of other things to pick at the phone... no need to use resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS