Amazon Reveals Kindle Fire HD, Paperwhite, Tons More

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thrakazog

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
It seems a lot of people missed the point of my post. IT wasn't that there are plenty of people that will be willing to buy the burger. It was that there are plenty of people put off from buying it by simply hearing about the ingredient. I bought the original kindle fire.....love it. But as soon as some sites released the ad-support story last night, comments were filled with people upset. I think the new 8.9 fire is amazing, personally, spec wise, the cheaper 4g plan, it's even slightly thinner than the new iPad ( .35 vs .37 ). I'm a huge supporter of amazon. Love amazon prime. But what was a sure thing became a purchase to consider and think about after I found out I couldn't buy a normal one.

As to the car analogy. Banner isn't quite right, since the ads are a permanent feature. I would say go around to some random people, and see if they will let you PAINT an ad on the side of their car for 2k. And I don't mean the people driving gremlins with crushed soda cans keeping the headlights pointing straight. Anybody with a decent 15k-25k car.....see if they let you paint something on just one door for 2k. I'm guessing you'll get less takers than you think.

thrakazog

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Also, name any car company or car dealership that makes an offer like that. There's a pretty good reason they don't bother. =)

thrakazog

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
And......lol......I can't help but notice my prediction came true. Check the news/tech sites.....

Tomshardware front page story - All of Amazon's Kindle Fire Tablets Are Ad-supported

Cnet front page story - Amazon confirms: All new Kindle Fires stuck with ads

Endgadget front page story - Amazon says: yes, you can opt out of ads on new Kindle Fire models (update 2: not likely)

Now, I thought about what the smart move for Amazon would have been last night. It's just my opinion, but I think the $299 wifi only version will sell well with ad-support. What they should have done is made the $499 and $599 4G LTE versions ad-free. I think most people would be fine with (what looks to be, but waiting for hands on reviews) awesome hardware for $299. But as soon as you break the $500 mark, there are too many other ad-free tablets out there to choose from. And thousands of people are going to opt for something other than the fire HD simply because they are ad-free. It's just the way it is. Forced ads was all it took from me instantly pre-ordering the 64GB LTE version, to waiting to see what else comes out from apple, the price of the MS surface.....I'm gonna have to wait and see now.

thrakazog

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
It seems Amazon has quickly taken the hint over the weekend that they would lose massive sales by making all the kindle HD's ad-supported.

Reports are coming out today, Monday, that you will now be able to opt out of ad-support permanently on any kindle HD for $15.

Status
Not open for further replies.