Amazon Taking on Apple, Google with Scan & Match Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I've bought too much stuff on Amazon MP3 to see them dicking around with their business model now.

Gotta admit though, with deals on individual songs at 25c and occasional albums as low as a buck, the price is right.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Read the Amazon MP3 update yesterday and came across the "scan and update your library" bit. I'm not really much of an Apple fan, but first thing I thought of when I read that bit was, "wait a sec, wasn't Apple doing this already?"

Anyhoo, I couldn't care less. Apple doesn't own the rights to be able to do that exclusively.

My issue is Amazon, with their most recent mp3 cloud service switch, is essentially doing a bait-and-switch, where unless you want to RE-UPLOAD your ENTIRE library, you must now pay $25/year to use their "new" music cloud service. You can maintain your previous cloud storage where you do not get to have "updated" music files from amazon's library if the song matches your library, but then you have to go through the arduous process of re-uploading all of your songs again...

Heard that the most recent Amazon MP3 app updates for android and iOS are essentially "broken" unless you upgrade your cloud account (haven't tested it myself).

I liked Amazon's music cloud storage up until I heard about this change.

I don't understand why I need to re-upload my library if I don't want to take advantage of Amazon's new (paid) cloud features...

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
"All matched songs – even music purchased from iTunes or ripped from CDs – are instantly made available in Cloud Player and are upgraded for free to high-quality 256 Kbps audio."

That can't match my good old FLAC CD rips (legally ripped if that wasn't clear enough).

I couldn't see using any of these services. The last thing I would want to do is give some company access to my entire music library. Then they would have an unprecedented amount of data to mine for direct marketing.

G

Have been using Google Play as my foray into legit mp3 music, while there isn't the option to scan/upgrade your existing tunes they do offer free storage up to 20,000 tracks and streaming. Friend that uses itunes said yeah they have basically same service but charge $25 for it... now Amazon does the same thing, think I'll just stick with the free option thanks, I will however continue leeching the good deals of Amazon and uploading them to my Google account.

Status
Not open for further replies.