Amazon Will Allow Opting Out of Ads on Kindle Fire for $15

Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Hello Amazon, guess what... I allow you, FREE of charge, to keep your ad display device :)

What's next? Dell or Microsoft will charge us if we want to uninstall all those 'free samples' that come pre-installed ?

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]So i buy a device, then i buy e-books for it and on top of that i have to pay to not look at ads ?Right?[/citation]

No, you buy a discounted product that in exchange for said discount, displays ads when you're not using it "actively"

In other words, someone is paying those 15 usd with the condition to put their brand in it

astonerii

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
makes me feel better about the kindle... I was about to write them off as a never buy item. I am looking for a device to give my 1 year old for play. Something with a long battery life would be ideal. Something interactive. Something not too expensive.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
even if I had the money to remove the ads, I wouldnt remove it. those ads give you really nice coupons and discounts. and they also dont bother you at all. anyone thinking the ads are like tv and hulu where youre interrupted is wrong. kindle ads dont work that way. the screensaver is somewhat comparable to a useful swipe to unlock, and the homepage ad doesnt bother in any way your navigation and enjoyment of the homepage.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]ahnilated[/nom]That is called extortion.[/citation]
Nobody's forcing you to buy the product, they're offering a product below cost, and having others subsidise the product through advertising, i doubt the sponsors are gonna just willy nilly spend money on you to not view their ads. It's fair.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
$15 is a small price to pay to remove ads. On the other hand, ads don't really bother me much. It's nice to at least have the option. I don't see why people complain about this concept on a tablet. They bought a TV, they bought a set-top box, they subscribed to their cable companies and they still have to look at ads...

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]ahnilated[/nom]That is called extortion.[/citation]

Extortion would be someone putting a gun to your head and saying buy this or die.

Not, pay us a little bit more money for a product you freely choice to buy.

_scientist

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
This doesn't make a lot of sense in my opinion. I initially give Amazon my money to purchase the device, I then give them more money to buy eBooks/or apps, then I have to play another $15 just so my eBooks aren't spammed with advertisements?

When is the last time you have seen an advertisement in a physical copy of a book? I have never seen one.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]So i buy a device, then i buy e-books for it and on top of that i have to pay to not look at ads ?Right?[/citation]

Partially right. You are also getting a better price because of the subsidization of the ads than you would buying one without the ad support.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]whiteodian[/nom]$15 is a small price to pay to get rid of those Ads. If I were to buy one, It would be one of the first things I do with it.[/citation]

Not me. The adds don't bother me at all. The adds are only visible when the device is turned off. So I really don't mind the adds being there. The adds have zero effect on me when I am using the device. It is basically as if your computer put an add up on the screen when you turn the computer off. It has no effect on the operation of the device.

Honestly I don't think that I have ever actually even looked at one of the adds. I am aware that the add is there, but I haven't actually focused on it and certainly have not purchased a product because of the adds (maybe if they advertised guns or video games then I would look at the adds, but they don't and I don't).

Anyway I'd rather have the adds and save 15 bucks. But I roll like that.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]_scientist[/nom]This doesn't make a lot of sense in my opinion. I initially give Amazon my money to purchase the device, I then give them more money to buy eBooks/or apps, then I have to play another $15 just so my eBooks aren't spammed with advertisements? When is the last time you have seen an advertisement in a physical copy of a book? I have never seen one.[/citation]
Why do people like you have to lie? People like you lied when the ad supported Kindle reader was released a couple of years ago. Hate to break it to you, but no ads ever appear in the books. If they appear in the apps, it's because of the app, not because of the tablet, and those ads in apps will appear regardless of what version of the Kindle, or any tablet, is purchased.

This is not extortion either, it's win/win for the consumer. You don't want ads? Fine, here's your version ad free. Yes, it's more expensive, because you alone need to pay to cover the cost of the tablet. Want to pay less and don't mind having a non obtrusive ad on your screen? Well, here's your version, below the cost of making it. Don't want a tablet with either ads or a higher price? Fine, you are free to choose not to buy one at all. See, no extortion exists and those calling it so are absolute fools.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]Bad business model. Gonna cause some heat. Prediction: its not gonna last.[/citation]
So giving more choice is a bad business model? Going to have to explain that one. If anything, the ad supported Kindle reader that's been out for a couple of years proves you dead wrong on that.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ALEXMX[/nom]No, you buy a discounted product that in exchange for said discount, displays ads when you're not using it "actively"In other words, someone is paying those 15 usd with the condition to put their brand in it[/citation]Bingo. If you're familiar with their previous "Special Offers" models, you'd know they are discounted hardware. So you're not paying $15 extra. You're getting a $15 discount, with the option to opt out and pay full price if you choose. Heck, once most people see the "ads" they won't care. Myself included.[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]even if I had the money to remove the ads, I wouldnt remove it. those ads give you really nice coupons and discounts. and they also dont bother you at all. anyone thinking the ads are like tv and hulu where youre interrupted is wrong. kindle ads dont work that way. the screensaver is somewhat comparable to a useful swipe to unlock, and the homepage ad doesnt bother in any way your navigation and enjoyment of the homepage.[/citation]Exactly! It's very unobtrusive, and sometimes the offers are even a nice bonus. But if you absolutely can't stand having anything that resembles an ad, you can choose to opt out at any time, you just don't get the discounted price anymore, and thus have to pony up that $15.

This also has the effect of streamlining the Kindle SKUs. Instead of selling two SKUs for every model, you only have one, and it's up to the purchaser whether they want the Special Offers discount or not.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Why do people like you have to lie? People like you lied when the ad supported Kindle reader was released a couple of years ago. Hate to break it to you, but no ads ever appear in the books. If they appear in the apps, it's because of the app, not because of the tablet, and those ads in apps will appear regardless of what version of the Kindle, or any tablet, is purchased.[/citation]Actually, he's probably not a "liar" per se. He's probably just ignorant, and thus is spreading his ignorance. He read a little bit about it, heard that it had ads, and made some priceless assumptions. Then he runs around spreading misinformation, despite never having actually used the devices in question. Worse yet, he's got his blinders on, so he'll probably never realize how wrong he is and how foolish his statements look to anyone who is actually familiar with the Kindle family.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]Actually, he's probably not a "liar" per se. He's probably just ignorant, and thus is spreading his ignorance. He read a little bit about it, heard that it had ads, and made some priceless assumptions. Then he runs around spreading misinformation, despite never having actually used the devices in question. Worse yet, he's got his blinders on, so he'll probably never realize how wrong he is and how foolish his statements look to anyone who is actually familiar with the Kindle family.[/citation]
Actually, he is a liar. He specifically stated as fact that ads appear in ebooks..."I have to play another $15 just so my eBooks aren't spammed with advertisements". Now, even if he has no experience with it, he is still intentionally misleading people trying to state something as a fact that he, at best, knows nothing about simply to mislead people in an effort to get people who are uninformed about the product to not like it. It's lying, plain and simple just as if he knew specifically that the ebooks had know ads.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Smart move Amazon[citation][nom]whiteodian[/nom]$15 is a small price to pay to get rid of those Ads. If I were to buy one, It would be one of the first things I do with it.[/citation] Agree 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.