AmazonBasics CU23011W Tap-Adapter: Top Performance, Imperfect Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Sauvageau

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014

They always are. Only one transformer, so no independent regulation. Only one transformer secondary and only one synchronous rectifier, so no isolation between outputs. No electronic fuses or PPTCs either, not really a problem when output current is only 4A with limited duty cycle.

I doubt we'll be seeing independently regulated 5V outputs in any adapter. At most, we might get a DC-DC converter in QC/USB-PD adapters with some fixed 5V ports.

I really enjoy these teardowns. Between you & Aris, it keeps my inner geek well-fed. When I buy a multi-socket adapter of most any kind, often it is to put somewhere, plug in devices that wouldn't fit otherwise, and just leave it, so I'm less concerned about the physical wear issues than a frequent-plugger might be.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
It's not bad till that wiggly part. It will just not pass much current. This will burn soon when used in the kitchen.
I have an extension cord with USB charging ports and six AC outlets, it just costs a bit more but certainly safer, convenient, and can pass more current.

froozeball

Reputable
Apr 6, 2015
Wonderful dissection as always Sir!

It's like watching Auguste Dupin or Sherlock Holmes unravel the threads in a mystery, forming an inescapable conclusion.

Thanks for putting this type of product on my radar M. Sauvageau!

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Thank you. I hope for more name brand adapters/chargers reviews like Belkin, APC, Anker, etc. Specifically the APC P6WU2. I use those all around my house. It would be nice to see what the difference between a $10 AmazonBasic vs a $15 APC one. Thank you.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Do you take request? I'd love to mail you an in-wall outlet with USB ports built in to tear down and see how those stack up given their limited internal space.

Daniel Sauvageau

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014

Sure, I'll consider 'special requests' when they come along. Can't say how long it'll be until I get to them though.

For those who wish to send things for review, international shipping to Canada is usually disproportionately expensive for low value items and there is the possibility of customs getting involved which can add $20+ to costs. It may make more sense to gift-order it through my Amazon list ( http://a.co/abxPoTr ) than ship it yourself.

Giroro

Splendid
Are there any products in this device class (small surge protector combined with USB) that are worthy of a recommendation? Perhaps the Belkin SurgePlus Swivel Travel adapter?
Because it seems like many of the popular products in this category on amazon are not rated for safety

Daniel Sauvageau

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014

Recommendations will have to wait until I've seen more of these. At the moment, this is the only one I've got and can't recommend it due to the wiggle flaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.