Amazon's Ecosystem Could Give Its Android Console Advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2013
I've had firetube before. But usually only after eating some spicy Indian food.

I'm curious what their "original" content will be for an Android-based system and if the system will also take the angle that the Kindle Fire has; the obnoxious "serve you constantly with ads" and "we gear our entire operating system to be a giant e-commerce platform" has been the primary unattractive quality to me.

Anyone who says this is just another Android tablet or in any way equivalent to the UI/UX of a Nexus or iPad is on crack. I'd be very curious to see if this really is a console or just another means to advertise Amazon products to you.

*EDIT* - PS there is something seriously wrong with Tom's commenting system since your recent changes: 1) Tapping (on an iPhone) on "Display Comments" only some times works. 2) View thread in forum does NOT work from a phone 3) Text formatting and sentence spacing is completely lost when posting in Chrome or on a phone.

I actually had to view this in the forum (via Chrome) and edit spacing here.

Mike Friesen

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
"under $300"It better be. Even with 3 gb of ram and a snapdragon 805, or tegra k1 (we can hope, although doubtful), it shouldn't run more than $150 - Look at the $200 tegra note, which has a screen and gyro, battery, etc!

Firetube sounds like a condition one might remedy with penicillin?Seriously though, all names aside, I'd like to see Amazon enter the game/entertainment console market. This company offers some of the best customer service on the planet. If they come up with something solid, I'd definitely try it out.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Still doesn't compare to SteamOS. Amazon lacks games and so far games have been the primary driver into the living room.

Not necessarily. Just about everyone I talk to these days is picking up a Roku, Apple TV, Google or WD box to turn their TVs into smart TVs. These are not gamers. I think the smart TV functionality appeals to the masses. Now if you tell them they can play Flappy Birds or Clash of Clans on their 1080p screen in their living room, you've got a sale.

jack1982

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Well if this isn't going to be very powerful then why should I pay around $300 for it when my $200 PS3 does all the same stuff and has a huge library of games?

PS3 games are not simple enough for the masses. Give them candy crush and they're all over it.

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
$300 LOLOLOLOL ARE YOU F&@ING JOKING!!?? I wouldn't pay $50 for a junk "Android console" if my life depended on it. Android cannot and will never be considered a viable gaming platform until someone releases anything other than FUD for the platform.I cant think of a single desccent game on Android that would be worth a console purchase that's not already on another better system and doesn't involve an emulator. Heck I don't even know an IOS game worth the purchase amd IOS embarasses Android on the gaming front.

Status
Not open for further replies.