Amazon's Fire TV Can Run Unreal Engine 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I will say, the specs for the device at $99 is a pretty good deal. It's a quad-core Qualcomm 1.7Ghz, adreno 320 gpu, 2GB of ram. Not too shabby, it's only flaw is being stuck in Amazon's custom UI. I'm buying a RK3288 for about the same price, but it's Android 4.4 so I won't be stuck in a walled OS.

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Of course it can, the Fire TV is on a current Snapdragon SoC and Unreal 3/4 scale to mobile. It must be obvious day at Tom's Hardware.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I will say, the specs for the device at $99 is a pretty good deal. It's a quad-core Qualcomm 1.7Ghz, adreno 320 gpu, 2GB of ram. Not too shabby, it's only flaw is being stuck in Amazon's custom UI. I'm buying a RK3288 for about the same price, but it's Android 4.4 so I won't be stuck in a walled OS.

But if it was a phone with these specs it would be $700.

biohazrdfear

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Is the mobile version of Unreal Engine almost exact, though? I mean, c'mon, we're talking about two different versions of Unreal. I doubt this thing will be able to run games that look exactly like PC games. Sure it'll look great for mobile, but it won't be a Steam Box killer or anything like that. Sorry, guys, but I don't think we will see Crackdown 3 or the new Gears of War on the Amazon TV.

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
It is the exact version of the ue4 for the blueprint (logic) part, of course it is a completely different and more restricted rendering path for mobile. This means that you'll never get gow on it but something like infinity blade or epic citadel.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I will say, the specs for the device at $99 is a pretty good deal. It's a quad-core Qualcomm 1.7Ghz, adreno 320 gpu, 2GB of ram. Not too shabby
I'm inclined to agree, but then, AMD's new AM1 platform can almost get you a computer for just over $100. Granted nowhere near as neat as the Fire TV, but considering the Fire TV could be subsidised by sales of movies, games, music and even other products on amazon, it seems like they could have made it much more capable. For example, if Apple really is going to give us a beefed up Apple TV, they could pretty easily release something that tops the Fire TV on hardware by simply putting some of Apple's cut on downloads towards offsetting the hardware costs, and Google could potentially do the same, so it's not like the Fire TV is exactly leap-frogging the other offerings by such a big margin. I think Ouya definitely needs to do something along these lines, as it's looking pretty pathetic as a gaming platform right about now.

condorxiii

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

condorxiii

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

Display, Battery, Cameras, (depending on region) Radios/Modem, Storage....

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

Lol no it wouldn't, even a phone with those specs that includes the 1080p OLED screen, expensive FCC submission fees, radio and modem fees, storage, cameras, antennas, mics, speakers, handset taxes, etc - you know all the expensive parts - a phone of this caliber would cost about 500USD unlocked. 100 bucks sounds about right for just the bare-bone development board with RAM added, which is essentially all this box is.

Noaman Khalil

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014

zepid you should know large firms mass produce in order to cut costs thus they are spending like 189 $ for a iphone 5s 16 gb,and this is a piece of plastic for 99$ in my book its a cheap piece of plastic with a large price tag

Lol no it wouldn't, even a phone with those specs that includes the 1080p OLED screen, expensive FCC submission fees, radio and modem fees, storage, cameras, antennas, mics, speakers, handset taxes, etc - you know all the expensive parts - a phone of this caliber would cost about 500USD unlocked. 100 bucks sounds about right for just the bare-bone development board with RAM added, which is essentially all this box is.

biohazrdfear

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Lol, I just looked back at this post and noticed that I got down voted twice. Lmfao.

Hey, I'll say it again, UNREAL ENGINE ISN'T GOING TO BE AWESOME ON FIRETV. IT WILL NOT BE THE NEXT GEN CONSOLE OR NEXT GEN TECHNOLOGY. GET OVER IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS