Amazon's First Phone May Be AT&T Exclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I was 1/2 looking forward to this phone, assuming it would be a low cost / high feature unlocked phone. But there is no way I would touch this steaming pile of crapola.

oxiide

Distinguished
I was 1/2 looking forward to this phone, assuming it would be a low cost / high feature unlocked phone. But there is no way I would touch this steaming pile of crapola.
You can't even use Google Play store on Kindle devices unless you root it. What on earth made you assume Amazon would reverse years of tradition and build a device for anything other than consuming Amazon content?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
The company held on to the phone for more than three years, giving it a competitive edge over rivals Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile and Sprint.

US mobile market is BROKEN. This wouldn't happen in many other countries since overwhelming majority of phones are sold unlocked. You know, so you can choose what carrier to go with (if any). Vote with your wallet, Americans, buy unlocked only.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
This could be a successful phone, people who love their Kindles and do everything on Amazon will enjoy it. If you can get the phone for $249 new or free with a contract, it would be a decent deal if you are already tied to amazon. They have a decent app store, it's probably better than the Windows Store.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I agree, Amazon isn't Apple. Apple could get away with that back in the days of the first smart phones, but there's no manufacturer that could get away with exclusivity in this day and age. You'd lose way too much market share for it to be an effective game changer.

rishiswaz

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
To get a flagship phone for less than 300 dollars you need carrier subsides, you get those on contracts and carrier locked phones. Now you pick either shelling out 400-600 dollars on base models of the flagship phones, or shelling out maybe 2 or 3 hundred and keeping it, along with your service for a few years. If you have the money to throw away on an unlocked phone more power to you, go for it; it does not hover imply that the US mobile market is broken.

TeamColeINC

Reputable
May 6, 2014
Limiting yourself to a single carrier is a mistake as it limits your customer base. I am considering an Amazon phone, but I definitely won't switch over to ATT for anything.

^This. After the experience I had with 'U-verse' never again will I go with AT&T for anything...

My experience with Amazon has been great, but I gave up on ATT based on their terrible customer service from back in the land line days when there wasn't much phone service competition. I have an aversion to the company altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.