AMD’s Bulldozer And Bobcat Architectures Pave The Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]No new news here, but I cannot wait until AMD releases "Bulldozer"! The thing that got me was the use of the cores. Really, all AMD needs now is a Commercial. Anybody?[/citation]

Put it in a mac, the sheeple will eat this Sh1t up.

Thanks for the great article and valuable information. Someone scolded me for saying I wanted to wait for a bulldozer processor to upgrade. Thanks for clearing this up. Yes, Bulldozer is what I'm waiting for, prolly a Zamboni would be nice.
By the way, just who the hell comes up with these ridiculous names? I personally think manufacturers would sell more units if they weren't so confusing.

Judguh

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]No new news here, but I cannot wait until AMD releases "Bulldozer"! The thing that got me was the use of the cores. Really, all AMD needs now is a Commercial. Anybody?[/citation]
I'd have to say I partially agree with you. I see way more Intel commercials (many) than AMD (none). My next build: Bulldozer :D

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Details being discussed today include a dual-issue x86 decoder and out-of-order execution, perhaps enabling a performance advantage compared to Intel’s Atom CPUs.

Not quite, the out of order execution WILL enable a performance advantage compared to Atom, + the added bonus that the AMD GPU on the Ontario platform (if similar or better in performance to the ION) WILL again make for a better platform as a hole.

On the Bulldozer side, Power Gating and Turbo for modules, TST > SMT should be something to look forward.

PS: On the commercials side I'm looking forward to something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0hU0OYvCI

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Excellent!! i skipped the Istanbul CPU's because i'm waiting to score on a "Scorpius" platform! and i know 100% that i will be able to afford it on release!

thomaseron

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
Hopefully, Bulldozer will easily outperform my 955BE. So when the time comes, Bulldozer, Northern islands and about 8GB RAM on a new motherboard. :) I hope Bulldozer kicks the living daylight out of intel for like one or two generations, so we can get som balance on the market.

thomaseron

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
[citation][nom]SpadeM[/nom]Not quite, the out of order execution WILL enable a performance advantage compared to Atom, + the added bonus that the AMD GPU on the Ontario platform (if similar or better in performance to the ION) WILL again make for a better platform as a hole. On the Bulldozer side, Power Gating and Turbo for modules, TST > SMT should be something to look forward.PS: On the commercials side I'm looking forward to something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0hU0OYvCI[/citation]

I totaly agree on the commersial bit. :)

XxOsurfer3xX

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Cannot wait for Zambezi i was thinking of buying a 1095T, now im going to wait and see... C'mon AMD surprise everybody with your new architecture!

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]luke904[/nom]ok everyone... I swear to god if AMD pulls this one off and bitch slaps Intel again... PARTY AT MY HOUSE!!![/citation]

Yeh but Intel also has its new 2011 line-up in the works. I really want AMD to do well but Intel has one hell of a lead in terms of clock-vs-clock performance. But i'm still hopeful...so go AMD!

To quote another user "the future is AMDeal".

Intel will need to buy a decent Graphics design team to keep up.

Goodby NVidia ... your about to be assimilated into the collective.

Chris, I might have predicted this a few times before ...and got it wrong too.

Great article btw.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
The main question is, when AMD is saying their 16 "core" processor is 50% faster than their 12 "core" processor, are they saying 16 "real" cores, or eight of these units with two execution engines.

It's good to see they got away from having ports with both AGUs and ALUs. Hopefully they copied more from Intel than that.

ares1214

Splendid
From this, which i saw a long time ago, so not much new, got me all excited for nothing :( But from this, i dont expect Bulldozer to compete with Sandy Bridge, or the i7. I expect it to be competing with the 980x. Intels charts have that as top dog up until Q3 2011. Therefore, we can guess SB will be more on a middle range. Bulldozer on the other hand, more specifically Scorpius, will be AMD's highest performing chips. Id expect them to take on the 980x, not really intels lower end. Some other chips will be made to do that. And to be honest, I think AMD has a winner :)

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]blink180heights[/nom]still won't be a core i7 920[/citation]
From the looks of it Zambezi sounds like it would outperform the i7 920 if it just used 4 cores except that it will have 8 cores (4 modules).It looks like it might even match or maybe outperform the 6 core i7-980X Gulftown monster.That is if AMD can really execute this properly.
Will Intel have faster CPU's by then? Probably.
The real question is will software catch up with this new hardware?
PC Gaming will be great really great with high FPS with new GPU's

kamen

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
I built a socket AM3 system in Oct '09 with these upcoming processors in mind. (550 be, 4gb DDR3 1333, ATI 4850 1gb, Asus M4a785-td Evo Mobo). Hopefully by Q2 '11 I can drop in a new "Zambezi" cpu and a 6850 or so gpu. I am staying with AMD for the love they show their customers, (prices aren't bad either).

konjiki7

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]I just hope this isn't two years of "Fermi" hype before the product is finally released.[/citation]
Tell me about it! That cardboard box launch was tremendous failure...

Although that didn't stop folks from buying there molten lava gpu's

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]L0tus[/nom]Yeh but Intel also has its new 2011 line-up in the works. I really want AMD to do well but Intel has one hell of a lead in terms of clock-vs-clock performance. But i'm still hopeful...so go AMD![/citation]

yeah I9 and new artom cpus, big line up NOT

Status
Not open for further replies.