Question amd 1700x core question? and upgrading to nvme-pcie ssd over normal ssd.

i was reading about the new zen2 and slower and faster cores and was wondering if the first gen zen cores also have the same slower and faster cores?

with ssd prices at ridiculously low prices, would i see a performance increase if i switch to a m.2 pci-e ssd over a traditional ssd ? i only hit 420 Mbs now...the 3,100 thats advertised looks really impressive.
i have a dell 5675 with a 1700x , 16 gig of ram. with 2 8 terabyte drives also attached inside and a 1060

Thank you for your time and response.
t

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Not 100% sure what you mean about "slower" and "faster" cores?

Even 1st Gen Ryzen will boost accordingly - the algorithm and process has improved over the revisions, as expected.... but 1st Gen still has boost clocks it can reach on X cores.

As for the SSD question, you'd see an improvement in theory - benchmarks etc, and the numbers look better. But it's not going to be a night & day difference in 'feel' outside of a few, select workloads. If you already have a reasonably fast 2.5" SATA SSD, you're looking at maybe a second or two (at most) in boot or load times, generally speaking.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
i was reading about the new zen2 and slower and faster cores and was wondering if the first gen zen cores also have the same slower and faster cores?
Not really, or at least not as pronounced. On 1st gen Ryzen you can typically overclock all cores to around the same speed as the max boost clock. So you could probably overclock a 1700X to 3.8-3.9 GHz on all cores, maybe 4 GHz if you're lucky and/or have good cooling.

I recently upgrade from a SATA to NVMe SSD, didn't notice much of a difference. Unless you're doing specific stuff that involves heavy sequential I/O it's not going to be a dramatic improvement.

pj482016

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
with ssd prices at ridiculously low prices, would i see a performance increase if i switch to a m.2 pci-e ssd over a traditional ssd ? i only hit 420 Mbs now...the 3,100 thats advertised looks really impressive.
i have a dell 5675 with a 1700x , 16 gig of ram. with 2 8 terabyte drives also attached inside and a 1060

A little late to this, but I have your same computer. Mine came with a 128gb sk Hynix m2 ssd, and a 1tb wd drive. I added a 256gb nvme ssd (you need to have your own m2 screw) and another 1 tb wd black drive. If you want me to check the speeds, I can. I got a very cheap nvme ssd because I heard that it uses only 2 channels instead of the regular 4? If you get a faster nvme, people are buying risers and it gets them to full speed.

https://www.dell.com/community/Insp...5675-Desktop-NVME-M-2-slot-speed/td-p/6041799

I've also heard that the 5675 has some problems with power supply compatibility, I should have dove into this pc a little more before I bought it, but it was clearance price and I'm only going to use it for a backup gaming/streaming pc. Don't think it is worth upgrading to a rx580 if I need to figure out all the power supply issues.